New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 07:07 PM
Default Help!!!

I am new here. I am trying to find out as much info as possible before spending all of my money. I am looking at buying a 2001 Hyundai santa fe with 108,000 miles on it. I am a college student and don't have much money. the person selling it bargained with me and said she would be willing to sell it to me for $2000.00. I was wondering if there is anything that i need to know before buying it?

Old 01-19-2010, 08:28 PM

first, you must know what you are able to afford. this also means things like insurance, fuel expenses, and even repairs.

most information can be gathered with some simple research through your insurance company, most give estimates, as well as consumer reports documentation on what to expect 'on average' with whatever vehicle you are looking to purchase.

regardless, you should have a pre-purchase inspection done to asses the vehicle. a carfax will not tell you if mrs smith ran into a pothole and bent some suspension components and put an impact bubble on the inside of the tire. or has smoked the transmission trying to get out of the snowdrift. will this service cost you a little bit?? perhaps. but would you say spending $100.00 to save yourself from buying a headache be worth it??

a competant technician will be able to tell you what to expect, within reason (we don't have crystal ***** perfected yet) and based upon experience, what, if any, red flags are present on the particular vehicle.

i hope this helps.

df