New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hyundai Employee

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 04:22 PM
Default Hyundai Employee

Hi my name is Kyle and I'm a Hyundai parts manager for Hyundai Motors America.

I don't own a Hyundai however i'm definitely looking at a 2011 Elantra to replace my wife's aging Caliber.

As far as my own car, its a 1997 Mitsubishi eclipse. I'm building an engine for it right now, its lowered on coil overs. A very simple and fast but elegant car. Before that I had a 1986 Mitsubishi Starion. Very fast and highly modded. So I know my way around an engine bay just as well as most technicians.

I've also been working for dealerships for ~7 years now and i'm quite familiar with most going-ons at a dealer.

If anyone has any questions I'd be glad to help or offer advice in anyway I can.

I also just wanna say, I am here posting socially. I am not trying to push any product and my time spent here is strictly because I'm a gearhead and love cars.

Happy motoring!

Old 04-13-2011, 05:10 PM

Welcome aboard. It's always great to have someone who is actually in the business in the group. Then you can get a straight answer as to how things really work. Now.... you need to out an buy yourself a 2011 Sonata 2.0t

Old 04-28-2011, 10:50 PM

Any chance you would know whether it takes regular oil or synthetic? The Manual doesn't mention this. I could either get the service at 3,750 miles or 7,500? I couldn't figure out which is better for me since I drive in mixed conditions (a lot of highway, some stop and go traffic in front of the Holland Tunnel). Was considering doing the extra oil changes inbetween regular services myself. So far it's a really nice car (I ended up with a PZEV version and I haven't noticed too much the drop in horsepower). Not quite getting 40mpg yet but I'm also still in break in with 320 total miles on the odometer.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, you can use synthetic oil. Personally, in your situation I would use synthetic and go with 7,500 miles oil changes. I do about 60% highway and 40% city driving and go 10,000 miles between oil changes with synthetic oil.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:34 AM

That's what I was thinking. I just didn't want to void any warranties by putting in oil they didn't quite recommend and/or doing the oil change myself (been a long time since I had a car under warranty). I do my own oil changes on the BMW every 9k miles or every 3 months - which is roughly the same (but it's long been off warranty and I do it to save some money, plus it's super easy).