New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just saying hi (GD content)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 07:56 PM
nfx
Default just saying hi (GD content)

I guess this is my intro? While I'm new to the forum, I'm not necessarily new to the Hyundai (or Elantra, for that matter) world.

I just picked this up yesterday... 2013 Elantra GT (where the GD comment came from in the subject). It's just a base model... no leather, 16 inch wheels, and the load of **** that came standard... Atlantic Blue with black interior... instagram goodness shall ensue:

I purchased this car to replace my old (hah) MD lease. This baby was a 2011, straight of the truck, help I need a car so I leased this bad boy monetary mistake. This was the Limited model... black on black... everything but the tech package

It was a nice car... the nicest I've ever owned... especially after replacing the XD I had learned to drive in and inherited from my dad when I wrecked my other car (more on that later, more pictures of my XD for nostalgia goodness).

The XD was about 115k miles and 11 years in without a hiccup. But we never changed the timing belt (my dad would joke the same belt would last 90k in Cali but only 60k everywhere else) and accessory belts, the too big but ultra cheap Chinese tires were starting to hit 4/32s, the rear suspension and brakes needed some love, and some other odds and ends. It worked well for my 2.5 mile commute... until I moved... and 24 miles one way was a little rougher than I had hoped so I decided to move on.

That's where the lease came in. I couldn't afford a huge down payment and the big monthly payment was out of the question. Factor that with a lack of skill at haggling at the dealer at the time, and well, I ended up believing I needed a car so I leased the MD.

I had that for about two years... and it felt really cool at first to own.. err... drive a new car. But the lack of feel to the electric steering, the jumpy rear suspension, the road noise, and other odds and ends made me happy I was getting rid of it sooner than later. But two years in, the fact that I was paying for a car I'd end up giving up (and paying who knows how much to turn it back in, as I've heard some horror stories) got to me and I decided to give it a shot to turn it back in early and finance a newer ride.

So I sat down and thought about things. I'm 26, I'm in a serious relationship, and I already had a fun car... Elantra coupe, Veloster, Genesis coupe... out. Then I remembered I always wanted a hatchback... Veloster back in the game, Elantra GT on the map. Packages? I don't want any more of that cheap Hyundai leather... and a sunroof isn't necessary... and the 16 inch wheels have beefier tires making everything quieter... plus, they're cheaper, so I won't feel so bad if I ever decided to upgrade to bigger wheels and lower the bitch.

Off to the dealer I went and out I came with the new ride. Overall, I'm a lot happier. I think the GT does some great things compared to it's sedan/coupe cousins, but not everything is peachy.... I've broken everything down below

Comparison or something... all my opinion, feel free to argue

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase. Future plans might consist of fabbing up an OEM looking intake setup (getting rid of the accordian tube between the TB and air box, smoothing out the airbox and etc), coilovers, wheels, and if someone can provide me with a high-end double din faceplate setup and an adapter to keep my hands free bluetooth and audio controls, I will most likely replace that as well.

If you guys can be of any help, by all means let me know.

Oh, and the fun car... this thing has cost me more time, effort, energy and money that I will ever fully admit... but I love it.

Last edited by nfx; 01-23-2013 at 08:00 PM.