New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 02:14 PM
Default New Member

Hello, New to the forum, hope to get some idea of owners satisfaction and experiences. I had a 2013 Elantra that my wife drove primarily. The car got rear ended and the vehicle was a total loss. The vehicle took a hard hit front and back, and my wife walked away just a little sore. We really enjoyed that car and never had the 1st problem, granted it only had 40k on the clock. We decided to buy another one, however ended up buying a 2016 Sonata Sport.

The Sonata seems to be nice enough and rides and drives good and I feel we got a great deal with Hyundai's March sales incentives and other discounts, I'm just not that excited about this vehicle. It could be because I traded in my 2006 Cadillac STS that I truly loved. I've been doing some research on the Sonata and seem to have read more bad than good.

I may just be experiencing some buyers remorse, and looking for some reassurance that I made a good choice in purchasing a Sonota sport. I'd welcome any comments, good or bad. How's your Sonata experience been?

Thanks,
Tater

Old 03-22-2016, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

I haven't owned one personally but my boss bought one after I suggest it to him (he was looking for a car with a manual trans and there weren't may options for him). He has a 2014 (6th generation) and loves it. What year Sonata were you reading about? You know, the 2016 is only the 2nd year for the 7th generation. Vastly different from older Sonatas.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:23 PM

Thanks for the reply. The Sonatas that I read about having problems were primarily the 2011-2013's. It appears many that even well maintained vehicles had engines that seized up. I also read that Hyundai was bad about honoring warranties without proof of all recommended service. This concerns me as I like to do all my fluid and filter changes. I'll be sure to save receipts and make records of any service that I do. Most of the reviews that I've read on the 2016 models have been positive. Time will tell more as these vehicles age.

I guess I shouldn't be overly concerned about negative reviews, If one searched I'm sure they'd find someone who's had a bad experience with just about any make and model. I got so scared after reading some on-line articles about the 2006 Cadillac STS V6 3.6L engine that I traded mine in on the Sonata, and it had 113K trouble free miles on it. In the future I plan on sorting for the positive reviews before reading the bad ones. I'm sure if I search enough that I'd probably find some bad reviews on my 2010 Lexus with 70K trouble free miles, or my daily driver 92 Toyota pickup with 296K mi. I could always sell them all and start riding my bicycle everywhere.