New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

newbie with Hyundai beater

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 11:17 PM
Default newbie with Hyundai beater

Hello all, I'm new here, and bought a 99 Accent last spring. Love the car, looking to fix a few little things, possibly some minor upgrades, and drive it till it dies, which judging by my experience so far, is going to e a while.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:40 PM
Talking ** Hello A New Guy **

Welcome to the forums..Thank You for joining with us..

WheelBroker 1

Attached Images  
Old 12-06-2013, 09:18 AM

I'm always interesting in hearing about older Hyundais and how they are holding up. I just bought a '13 Elantra GT and really love the little car.
So... tell us about your Accent. How many miles, body style, engine, transmission, how many previous owners, buy from dealer or individual, etc ?

Old 12-08-2013, 02:08 PM
Default Accent

It's a '99, 2door with the 1.5L engine and 5 speed. It just passed the 100k mile mark. I bought it last spring with 82k, from an independent used car lot in Phoenix. I know that it had a previous owner in alberquerque, and it appears that it was driven by a college student when he came home. Mechanically, the car is near flawless, but there a few minor issues otherwise. While installing a radio, I shorted out the circuits for both the radio and HVAC fan. I have some faded paint and a cracked dash (both normal for a 15 year-old car in the Southwest), and a dent and busted window crank in the driver door.

I'm going to be fixing these issues one by one, while using it as a commuter car and/or family car when my wife's Impala breaks down (often), and occaisionally folding the rear seats down to haul cargo almost comparable to a small pickup.

There are a few junkyards in the area from which to get body and interior parts. I am working with a small budget, keeping things simple. Ultimately, I would like to invest in some roof racks and set this up for weekend warrior-type camping road trips. Interestingly, the car also handles the desert dirt roads like they're nothing.