New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

snow

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 05:58 PM
Default snow

My wife has a 2005 se that she loves. It has never been in the snow. I am looking at a 1999 for my daughter has but was wondering how they do in the snow.

Old 01-08-2007, 01:38 AM
Default RE: snow

Most vehicles perform well in even 4" of snow. Any more then that and you should wait for the plows. Most sedans have 5" of ground clearance. I'm not sure what you mean by "2005 se", but with any vehicle if you are unsure about winter performance look at your current tires: If they have a smooth low tread then they won't give much winter traction. If the tires have an aggressive tread with some large sipes around the sidewalls they will perform better. Some all season tires can be bought for a few more bucks then winter tires.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:43 PM

I drove my 2004 Hyudai Tiburon GTv6 for one week last winter in one bad snow storm. It is a deathtrap. The worst car I have ever driven in snow. After that one snow storm I said NEVER again. It may as well been my little red casket that day. I put 4 new snow tires on before this winter. Just drove it yesterday in 6 inches of snow and it did great.Awesome as a matter of fact. DO NOT let your wife or daughter drive their Tiburons without snow and ice tires. Forget the all weather tires too. Ice and snow tires only.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:22 PM

So can I use snow tires during other weathers ?
I am thinking it might impact my mileage.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:44 PM
Banned

Snow tires probably don't give the best mileage, but it's probably not a big difference. The big problem with snow tires is the noisy ride.

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-20-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Ladydi

I drove my 2004 Hyudai Tiburon GTv6 for one week last winter in one bad snow storm. It is a deathtrap. The worst car I have ever driven in snow. After that one snow storm I said NEVER again. It may as well been my little red casket that day. I put 4 new snow tires on before this winter. Just drove it yesterday in 6 inches of snow and it did great.Awesome as a matter of fact. DO NOT let your wife or daughter drive their Tiburons without snow and ice tires. Forget the all weather tires too. Ice and snow tires only.
I drove my Tiburon GT with 17" all-season tires through 3 Pennsylvania winters with no problems. Yes, snow tires make the drive easier but the Tiburon is not a "deathtrap" in the snow if you know how to drive in snow. If you have summer only tires, you shoudl not drive any car in the snow. All-seasons are better and snows are best. However, there is nothing better than a skilled driver that knows what they are doing. So DO NOT let your wife or daughter drive their Tiburons without knowing how to drive in snow or ice.

ORIGINAL: spishak

So can I use snow tires during other weathers ?
I am thinking it might impact my mileage.
The problem with snow tire is not noise but wear. There are a number of differences between snow tires and "regular" tires (all-season or summer-only). One is that they have a much softer compound to stay pliable in cold temps. While you could drive them in all weather, they wear very quickly and do not handle hot weather well. Basically put snow tires on at the beginning of the winter, leave them on until the spring and then replace them with your other tires.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=135&

Last edited by NovaResource; 01-20-2011 at 07:24 AM.