New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of getting i800...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 05:03 PM
Question Thinking of getting i800...

Hi ladies and gents,

I've taken the i800 on a test drive today, and I really like it. My husband isn't so sure, I'm hoping you can help me 'sell it' to him over the other large MPV's available.

Ok, so the reason I reckon the i800 is better for us, is mainly the boot space in addition to the 3 rows of seats. We have a disabled son, who needs his own space in the back (currently squeezed into the boot seat in a Zafira). We also have 2 other lads who, well, aren't going to get smaller, and already take up the middle row between the two of them. The youngest has a pushchair, along with usual junk children seem to accumulate. My husband is disabled also, and needs an Elap motorised chair to get in and out of the car, and space for his wheelchair. I also need a car that will take a hoist to lift the wheelchair in and out. I am the only driver and I'm waiting for surgery on my shoulder so my lifting capabilities are restricted.

My hubby is quite taken by the Ford Galaxy, but I dont think it is worth the £23-30K in comparison with the i800 for under £20k. There doesn't seem to many reviews around of i800's, which have been tested by 'real' families in real situations. Any help would be appreciated please!

Thanks in advance!

Letyian

Old 06-28-2009, 04:09 AM
Default i800

Hi Letyian
We got our i800 back in November, I am disabled and use a 'chair, we had an electric winch fitted, the boot swallows my wheelchair not folded a mothercare "Trenton" travel system pram my PDQ power trike attachment, batteries and still has room for shopping!!!!.
We are a family of severn and can't praise it enough. The air con is good, opening windows in the back allow nice air flow when you dont want to use the aircon.
On the road we quite often do a 300 mile trip to the outlaws two adults five kids, four car seats, pram etc as above, a big (and I mean BIG ) bag of clothes, high chair and toys! We get just over 40mpg I can't say at what speed though We average 20-25mpg around town( short journeys of one to two miles) I also tow a big twin axle caravan, all I can say is WOW what a tow car and watch the speed
This brings me to the not so good points.
Watch your speed
Watch your speed on the mototway
Lack ov 12v power points in the back
Lack of rear wash wipe
Only one button for the alarm on the key (We prefer two)
Only the driver has a seat warmer
Glove boxes aer too small
Radio doesn't show station name or stay tuned, or have traffic news feature

For its size it is very easy to park and will U turn very well because its rear wheel drive. It drives well in the snow and ice. We find it very comfortable, the children like the mood lighting in the rear, this is also very handy when driving at night and they are eating, looking for dvd's etc as it isn't too bright.
We looked at the VITO (crap) VW Transporter (no boot) Caravell (too dear) Renault mini bus ( no boot)
What more can I say but get one I don't think you'll regret it. I hope this helps. Bart

Old 06-28-2009, 11:05 AM

Thanks Bart

My hubby is starting to see the advantages! I'd like to go and look at it again before we make the final decision, but I really hope my enthusiasm rubs off on him!

Maybe when the kids are at school...

Letyian

Old 08-29-2012, 07:43 PM

Hi, I have recently bought a 2011 I800, a few things have changed....
1. The radio now has rds and remembers stations perfectly, the speakers are amazing too and the iPod control is also a great feature.
2. The I800 now comes with rear wash wipe as standard, also tinted glass as standard too.

Very good and easy to drive, steering feels a little light, but fine once you get use to it and yes, watch your speed... It soon Gets up there!

The down side for me is... No cruise control and no arm rests, both of these can be added after, but not by Hyundai.

I have done over 1500 miles in the last 2 weeks, that's 7 of us, wife is Preggy with number 6, that's why we upgraded the 2004 Chrysler grand voyager.

Not as refined as my old Chrysler and a little bit noisier, but on the whole very very happy

Hope this helps