Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Crank Position Sensor replaced....

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 11:01 PM
Default Crank Position Sensor replaced....

But I still have stall issues. I thought about it and I now realize that my problem has gotten worse and worse. At first it would stall, then after a few moments it would start and the problems would dissapear for a long while. As time passed though, the stalling would become more frequent. Now I can barely go about 5-8 minutes before a stall. I'm getting tired of walking. The CPS has been changed twice with no improvement. Someone mentioned that there is a magnet attached to the end of the cam shaft that could fall off and not rotate to indicate the cam shaft is rotating. Has anyone taken off the valve cover to see what the cam shaft looks like? Is there an actual magnet or something that would signal while rotating?

Old 12-09-2009, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by twowheelinjim
But I still have stall issues. I thought about it and I now realize that my problem has gotten worse and worse. At first it would stall, then after a few moments it would start and the problems would dissapear for a long while. As time passed though, the stalling would become more frequent. Now I can barely go about 5-8 minutes before a stall. I'm getting tired of walking. The CPS has been changed twice with no improvement. Someone mentioned that there is a magnet attached to the end of the cam shaft that could fall off and not rotate to indicate the cam shaft is rotating. Has anyone taken off the valve cover to see what the cam shaft looks like? Is there an actual magnet or something that would signal while rotating?
You've mentioned both the crankshaft and camshaft in your posting, but there is a seperate sensor that detects rotation of each shaft.

Which one have you repeatedly replaced? The camshaft position sensor (CMP) or crankshaft position sensor (CKP)? Also, when the engines stalls and fails to restart, does the engine have spark and/or fuel? There are lots of things that can cause stalling besides these sensors.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:47 PM
Banned

I'm having difficulties with my crank position sensor, is it easy to replace?, can it be done the DIY way or do i need to bring it to a garage?

Last edited by archebald23; 02-26-2011 at 12:22 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:12 PM
Default Crank Position Sensor replaced

It does not have one per say. The crank sensor is part of the distributor, should be replaced as a complete assembly.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bousexemo
It does not have one per say. The crank sensor is part of the distributor, should be replaced as a complete assembly.
The 2002 Accent has no distributor.

Originally Posted by archebald23
I'm having difficulties with my crank position sensor, is it easy to replace?, can it be done the DIY way or do i need to bring it to a garage?
Simply unbolt the sensor, remove from the flywheel housing and disconnect it from the wiring harness.

CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR (CKP SENSOR)
The crankshaft position sensor, consisted of a magnet and coil, is located next to flywheel. The voltage signal from this crankshaft position sensor is relayed to the ECM to indicate engine RPM and the position of the crankshaft.

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-20-2011 at 06:26 AM.