Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Heater keeps going out

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 04:49 PM
Default Heater keeps going out

I have a 1999 Elantra in which the heater quits working every 5 months. The first time this happened I took it to the dealership and they replace a relay or something to that fact. 5 months later it quit working again. So I took it back to the dealership and they replace the heater motor. Now that it's getting cold out again it stops working. Every once in a while the heater will come on for 5 seconds and then shut off. This happens about 6 times in a row and then it stop. What can be wrong now? Why does this keep happening? Does anyone have any advice?

Old 10-30-2008, 06:09 PM
Banned
Default RE: Heater keeps going out

Did you reseat the fuse? Sounds like a short someplace. Perhaps the relay again.

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-21-2011 at 07:00 AM.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:01 AM

could be as simple as what jsinton said, or it could be that the heater core is going bad or getting clogged. There may be trash or coolant scale getting into the heater core, once you bring it to the dealership and shut off your car, the scale could settle, then once they check it out, it works for a moment, they think nothing is wrong, give it back to you, then once it warms up after driving, it could clog again. It happened to me in my old truck. Either try flushing your heater core, or the entire system, but if you just flush yourheater core, back flush it, reverse of which way it flows. or it could bea badthermostat,but one would think the dealership would catch that, but i have seen some pretty stupid **** missed my dealers, which is why i never bring my vehcials there

Old 11-25-2008, 09:08 PM

I did reseat the fuse and that did the trick for about two weeks. Then it stop working again but every time you reseat the fuse it worked. So I took some steal wool and ran it acrossed the metal and that did the trick for another two weeks. Now it stopped working again. Like I said if you reseat the fuse it starts to work until you shut the hood. Maybe I need to replace the fuse?