Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Santa Fe Starting Problem after overheating

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 11:05 PM
Unhappy Santa Fe Starting Problem after overheating

I have a 03 Santa Fe that had a stuck thermostat. It overheated and the overflow tank from the radator ended up with a small hole burned through it from the hot coolant. This proceeded to spray on the passenger side of the engine. So the person driving pulled over and waited for it to cool down. But by time it was cool the car would not start. The starter cranks and the main pulleys are turning, but the engine won't start. I have repaired the thermostat and overflow. But I cannot get the engine to start. I have checked the spark and there is spark. I have also reset the fuel cutoff switch. If we pump the gas pedal, we can smell gas but still it won't start. I have also disconnected the battery for 24 hours and reconnected it. Still no success.

What should I check to find the problem?

Old 02-20-2012, 01:32 PM

I have checked the OBD-II codes and originally had a Mass Air Flow sensor error. I cleaned the sensor and the error (P0104) is now gone. But still won't start.

I pulled all the plugs and tested them for spark and all were sparking fine. There was fuel on each plug and when I tested them, I could see the fuel air mix pushing out of the cylinders.

I cleaned off the plugs and re-installed them. STILL all I get is cranking and no start.

If I have spark and fuel, why won't it start? This doesn't make sense.

Any suggestions?

Old 09-22-2016, 10:55 PM
Default I'm a having the same issue after over heating can you tell me what the problem wa

Originally Posted by eMichie
I have checked the OBD-II codes and originally had a Mass Air Flow sensor error. I cleaned the sensor and the error (P0104) is now gone. But still won't start.

I pulled all the plugs and tested them for spark and all were sparking fine. There was fuel on each plug and when I tested them, I could see the fuel air mix pushing out of the cylinders.

I cleaned off the plugs and re-installed them. STILL all I get is cranking and no start.

If I have spark and fuel, why won't it start? This doesn't make sense.

Any suggestions?
can you please tell me what the problem was with your car I'm having the same issue

Old 08-31-2020, 05:48 PM

It is possible after an overheated engine to lose compression due to loss of oil on the rings. If it sounds like its cranking faster than normal, this may be the problem. If you didn't cook it too bad, try putting oil in the spark plug holes, not too much, because you could hydraulic lock the engine. even spraying WD4 in the throttle body may help. the fact you smell gas, may be that the gas is washing the oil out of the piston rings. if oil works, then bam! you may have gotten lucky!

Old 09-04-2020, 12:04 PM

I know this is a very old post, but to help the next person, it also could cause the head gasket to fail, or the head or block to crack, a compression test would be the next step to diagnose it.