Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2011 sonata not starting-push in starting

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 07:52 PM
Smile replace brake pedal switch

I did get my 2011 Sonata to the deal, after learning how to get it started (push button problem). I told dealer of this thread, and how it is an apparent problem, and probably recall issue soon. they fixed by replacing the brake pedal switch, no charge. If it happens to you again. Push in brake pedal HARD, stay pushing and then pus in the start button and hold it in until carstarts, about 30 seconds. Love this thread.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:11 PM

Mine will be getting its SECOND brake light switch tomorrow. With all the issues my car has had, I'll NOT be buying another.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:41 PM

I wish I had read this blog before taking my 2011 Sonata Limited into the dealer 3 days ago and today for the same keyless igition problem. The keyless (brake and button) would not turn over the engine. I had to jump the battery and that allowed the brake pedal to be depressed and the button ignition to start. Three days ago they only did a battery check = Good. Today is a Friday, so they will hold it and look at it on Monday. Seems like big delays for a probable brake switch replacement. No recalls on this yet! Working knowledge base?

Old 08-03-2012, 11:13 AM

I was unaware of this problem until I experienced it myself in my 2011 Sonata Limited this week. When it happened the first time, I figured it was something I had done wrong. Didn't have time to figure it out, so I hopped into another car. When it happened again this morning on my way to work, I knew something was wasn't right. Called the dealer and they appeared to be well aware of the problem (faulty brake switch) and the service advisor told me how to get it started. After reading this thread, I'm concerned that even with the replacement part, this could happen again. I'm very disappointed that Hyundai hasn't issued a recall for this. I was lucky that it happened when I was at home, but it very likely could have stranded me somewhere.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cmiller
(faulty brake switch) I'm very disappointed that Hyundai hasn't issued a recall for this.
There is a recall. It's been out since 2009:
https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/g...e-lights-6251/

Old 08-04-2012, 09:35 AM
Default Brake Switch Repaired at no Charge

Originally Posted by BriteSonata
I wish I had read this blog before taking my 2011 Sonata Limited into the dealer 3 days ago and today for the same keyless igition problem. The keyless (brake and button) would not turn over the engine. I had to jump the battery and that allowed the brake pedal to be depressed and the button ignition to start. Three days ago they only did a battery check = Good. Today is a Friday, so they will hold it and look at it on Monday. Seems like big delays for a probable brake switch replacement. No recalls on this yet! Working knowledge base?
(3 Aug 12) I received an e-mail from this Forum indicating that a similar brake switch problem in 2006-2007 Sonatas was covered under a previous Recall under NHTSA Campain ID # 09V12200 PE 09003 in April 2009. Maybe the 2011 model production line did not get the message in order to correct the problem in future 2011 models.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:46 PM

I have had multiple problems with my 2011 Sonata SE and the starting issue. First, it was the brake sensor problem that was discussed earlier in this thread. Quick, easy fix and solved the problem.
Second was a dead battery. Sluggish starting and eventually not starting after 2.5 years and 75k miles led to a new battery. Nothing too outrageous.
Now, I am sitting in the Hyundai dealership having been towed here (Thanks Hyundai Roadside Assistance) due to a faulty starter. Apparently there is a small plastic part in the starter that breaks and causes the starter to fail. It must be enough of an issue that the dealer knew the problem while the car was being lowered from the tow truck.
My car was out of warranty (80k miles in two years) and it was a $420 fix, so for those of you with a sub-60k Sonata, might want to try and get that starter busted before you're out of warranty Sit in your driveway and repeatedly start the car maybe???!?!

Old 04-29-2013, 03:06 PM
Default This should help everyone.......

Item Affected: EXTERIOR LIGHTING:BRAKE LIGHTS:SWITCH
Date Announced: 4/1/2013

Description of Recall:
Hyundai Motor Company (Hyundai) is recalling certain model year 2007-2009 Accent and Tucson, model year 2007-2010 Elantra, model year 2007-2011 Santa Fe, model year 2008-2009 Veracruz, model year 2010-2011 Genesis Coupe, and model year 2011 Sonata vehicles. The stop lamp switch in the affected vehicles may malfunction. A malfunctioning stop lamp switch may cause the brake lights to not illuminate when the brake pedal is depressed or may cause an inability to deactivate the cruise control by depressing the brake pedal. Additionally, a malfunctioning stop lamp switch may also result in intermittent operation of the push-button start feature, affect the operation of the brake-transmission shift interlock feature, preventing the shifter from being moved out of the PARK position and cause the Electronic Stability Control (ESC) malfunction light to illuminate.

Action Needed To Fix It:
Hyundai will notify owners, and dealers will replace the stop lamp switch, free of charge. The safety recall began during April 2013. Owners may contact Hyundai at 1-800-633-5151. Hyundai's recall campaign number is 110.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:07 PM
Default 2011 Sonata Starter Problem

2011 Sonata, Push the Button to start and hear the starter spin. Hyundai Service said they will not replace the starter if they cannot duplicate the problem. This don't happen all the time but it would not start for 3 hours today and then it works(the Brake Switch has been replaced) without fail for awhile. Is there any way to make this starter fail at the house(no arson) so Hyundai Road Side Assistance can come and pick it up, and not leave me stranded on some dark road with no cell service.

Old 08-26-2020, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by rosie
I will suggest that... Thank you so much
Hi I have the same problem of a defective button on a sonata..I was 3 days without using my car until I checked on YouTube to find out that sonatas with push buttons have an alternative way to start the car.Most people never see it but there is a slot in the front wall of the center console.You enter you remote control into the slot then press the brake pedal and the pushbutton and it will start.I hope this helps a few people