Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2011 sonata tire noise: not comfy frwy cruiser.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 10:41 AM

Has anyone actually solved the tire/road noise problem with the Sonata? I own one and have driven another and had the same noisey experience. I'd spend the money on tires if I knew it would solve it, but I'm afraid it may be the car's design(or lack of) that is the problem.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:43 AM

Sounds like Hyundai may have cut corners on sound deadening materials to save on weight and increase gas mileage.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:51 PM

the kumos KH25 is a horrible tire, noise was so bad I went and bought some Goodyear comfortred touring tires and the noise is gone. Excellent tire for noise and ride not to mention $210 off 4 at Just Tires. Replace the tires and the noise completely disappears.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by suttonjohn
the kumos KH25 is a horrible tire, noise was so bad I went and bought some Goodyear comfortred touring tires and the noise is gone. Excellent tire for noise and ride not to mention $210 off 4 at Just Tires. Replace the tires and the noise completely disappears.
I too am looking for a solution to the Sonata noise problem. And I also was wondering if the problem was a lack of adequate sound deadening material or the Kumho tires. Your post was most helpful and reassuring. I'm hesitating to replace the OEM tires now with only 10,000 miles on them. Not a good investment at this time. I think I'll get a little more usage out of them. Nice to know there is light at the end of the tunnel, though. I am considering the Goodyear Comfortred and the Michelin Primacy MXV4. I read reviews for both ot them regarding noise. Some say they are quiet and sound say they are noisy. Typical for Web reviews, I suppose. But it appears that more articles complain of noise with the Goodyears than the Michelins. Thank you for the info.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:33 PM

I just swapped the OE tires for a set of Hankook 727's. MUCH better!

Old 08-01-2011, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by sa31
I just swapped the OE tires for a set of Hankook 727's. MUCH better!
Thanks for the post, SA31. I read many reviews of the Hankook 727 tires and was very impressed. Previous to your post this tire wasn't on my radar scope. But it is now. Some reviewers claim the 727 is the worst tire ever made. But I guess you have to weed out some items that don't seem to be valid. Strange to see generally unfavorable reviews of other Hankook models, though. Please advise how things go with the 727s as mileage accumulates.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:52 AM

Kumos Tires are bad tires on new cars, changed out the tires with the Goodyear comfortred touring tires and noise was totaly gone. Couple of Michelin tires are good but you will pay for them.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:44 PM
Default tire noise

The tires make a big difference I owne three different vehicles
98 Rav4 with Hurcules MV's tires
Jeep Liberty with BF Goodrich
and My 2011 Sonata the summer stock, Kumo tires I have rear noise also when I put on My Bridgestone Snows the backs wine like no tomorrow yet Dunlops on the noise with no trouble or noise
My rav4 rides like a dream with Bridgestones but are also very noisey, when I had Michellins no noise
Jeep with Goodyear lots of road wining

Next stop Michellin for all woth the money if you need to compare go to tirerack web site and compare

Old 08-28-2013, 12:50 PM
Default tire noise

I had terrible tire noise with the Kumo tires that came with my Hyundai...I replaced with Michlon Primacy MXV4 and it was completely gone. Well worth theexpense...perfect tire for this car.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:56 AM
Default tire noise

replaced factory tires with Michelin Defenders , sprayed trunk with black undercoating for added insulation road noise is gone.

Quick Reply: 2011 sonata tire noise: not comfy frwy cruiser.