Hyundai Terracan The Terracan offers mid-sized sport utility space in the body of a compact SUV.

water pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 04:00 AM
Default water pump

would a faulty water pump be the cause of my Terracan losing power and stopping completely ?

Old 03-10-2009, 04:57 AM
Banned

The short answer is probably not. But if you would give us some more information, maybe we can give you a better answer.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by murciamac
would a faulty water pump be the cause of my Terracan losing power and stopping completely ?
Highly doubtful.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:59 AM
Default water pump

after driving for 20 minutes the engine loses power and came to a complete stop, i left it for 15 miutes before restarting it ....started first time with full power however after 20 minutes the same thing happened no power and came to a complete stop .
Originally Posted by murciamac

Old 03-11-2009, 05:32 AM
Banned

We need information if you want the correct answer.

What year car?
How many miles?
What is the service history?
What kind of driving do you do?
What country do you live in?
What is the weather like?
Is it gas or diesel?
What size is the motor?
Do you fill the fuel tank?
Do you let fuel get low before you refill?
Did you change the fuel filter?
Did you do a tune up?

Old 03-11-2009, 07:45 AM

sorry for being so thick !
i live in spain and the weather is hot , i have the car serviced every year ,i've had it since 2003,it is a diesel 2.9 , i always fill the tank up when it gets to a quarter of a tank , i use it for school runs and shopping and do between 10 and 60 klms per day,you ask if ive done a tune up , sorry but no ... i leave that to the garage .
i currently have it in a garage and they say it is the water pump , i have told them about it stoppng and losing power , i am just scared that when i drive it away the same thing happens as i have had it in before and they said it was the oil filter the last time !
many thanks for your patience , as you can tell i know absolutely nothing about cars.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:26 AM
Banned

Sorry to tell you, we know nothing about diesel Hyundais here in the US, as there is no diesel Hyundais here.

What I can tell you is if the car is overheating, then it is possible that you have a problem with the motor stopping. Is it overheating? Loosing water?

If you don't like what the garage is telling you, then take it to another garage for a second opinion without mentioning the first garage.

Also, I don't see how the oil filter was a problem unless the mechanic put it on wrong and it was leaking. Do you change the oil every 5000 kms? You need to do that.

Changing the fuel filter on a diesel car is a really cheap and important thing to do. Diesel is really simple: It either runs or it doesn't. If it's stopping like that then suspect a fuel pressure problem like fuel filter is clogged.

Upon thinking about your case, I don't like your mechanic. Why does he say there is a problem with the water pump? What is supposed to be wrong? Why was the oil filter the problem, and not the fuel filter? Maybe something is lost in translation here.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:24 AM

Many thanks for your reply , i will take your advice and seek a second opinion .