Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

i30 Front Indicator

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 04:57 PM
Default i30 Front Indicator

Can any-one out there tell me how to change a front indicator bulb on a Hyundai i30, the hand-book supplied is all but useless, in fact it seems to me if I want to change any bulb at the front of the car is a immpossibility, unless you have fingers like knitting needles.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

You have to remove the headlight assembly to replace the bulbs:

Removal

CAUTION:
- Head lamps become very hot during use; do not touch them or any attaching hardware immediately after they have been turned off.

NOTE:
- The headlamp bulb should not be removed from the headlamp assembly until just before a new bulb is installed.
- Removing bulb for an extended period of time may affect headlamp bulb performance.
- Contaminants may enter the headlamp assembly where they can settle on the lens and reflector.
- Never turn on the head lamps with the bulb removed from the headlamp assembly.

1. Disconnect the negative (-) battery terminal.

2. Loosen the mounting bolts (3EA) of head lamp. Remove the head lamp assembly (A) after disconnecting the lamp connectors.

NOTE:
- Take care that retaining clip (A) is not to be damaged.

3. Remove the bulb caps from the head lamp assembly after turning in the counter clock-wise direction.
A : Head lamp high bulb & position bulb cab
B : Head lamp low bulb cab
C : Turn signal bulb cab

4. Remove the head lamp bulbs after releasing the lock of the set spring.
A : Head lamp high bulb
B : Head lamp low bulb.

Installation
1. Install the head lamp bulbs.

2. Install the head lamp bulb caps.

3. Install the head lamp assembly after connecting the lamp connector.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:23 PM

Wow thanks. Would this be the same for the Touring as it is almost identical to the I30? I'm saving this for future reference.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

Actually, that is the Touring procedure. It should be the same for his i30.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:56 PM

Thank you for all your contributions, but after taking out the (3-EA) screws the Headlight assembly is rock solid/immovable, all I want to do is replace the existing side-lights with Blue

Old 06-19-2009, 05:52 PM

This help has been help full. But there are a few steps missed out.
I have done this and it is a mission.

I have chosen this way because i did not want to scratch the **** out of my new car.
It takes longer but i know it works and its safe.

I do not take responisbilty for ppl damaging their cars.

You must have taken the 6 screws above out already.

On the right hand side undo the radiator reservoir (2 bolts).

All screws on front radiator support have to be taken out.
(so you can move the front bar) Plastic and Metal screws/bolts.

One screw on each side of left and right hand side front bar under neather the car located towards the front near the top of the tyre well. They are a philips type 2 (Use a lead light if you cant see them) have to be removed.

You can then unclip front bar (if its brand new you may have to pull pretty hard to unclip the plastic bar).
Dont use screw drivers or sharp instruments . YOU WILL DAMAGE YOUR CAR!!

Disconnect headlight wiring.

Once front bar is unclipped. Dislodge head light from seating clip and with the front bar half off you can slide the head light out.

Once it is uncliped there is a certain way of pulling them out. Generaly twisting the headlight i found, it is fairly easy to work out.

DONE! Your head light is out!

Reverse process to put back in. DO NOT FORCE THE HEADLIGHTS BACK IN.

They should be seated correctly and once seated correctly gently push them and you will feel a click. That click is the seating postion clip.

Line up the top locating plastic on the headlight assembly and screw everything in making sure its water tight!

If you know what your doing eta 15-30 mins each side . Take your time as you don't want to scratch your baby when taking the lights out.

I will post pictures asap. Good luck (If anyone wants help pm me) I hope you like my first post!

Last edited by sr owna; 06-19-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:30 PM

Please note if you have small hands you may not need to take the lights fully out.

Removing the 3 bolts will only allow you to slightly move the headlight aprox 2 inches bout 50mm

As the right hand side you can remove the radiator reservoir . 2x10 mm Bolts.

The left hand side can be done by removing the battery. 10mm i think?

Reservoir

Headlights Out

Radiator Support Bolts

Front bar bolt - Underneath guard

Headlight

Done!

Old 08-06-2011, 09:08 PM
Default I30 bulb

I tried to remove front passegner side low beam bulb using the owners manual. It's written so you go back to them for replacement.

Anyway this is what I did.

Remove the two 10mm bolts on top of the headlight surround and the one 10mm bolt which is in the engine bay. This allow the whole headlight assembly to move back but not by much. I have fat fingers so couldn't replace the bulb from this position. I also didn't want to remove the battery as who knows what might happen then.

The lower portion of the headlight surround hits the front panel of the car. I removed the two bolts which hold the upper section of the guard (fender) and got my son to hold the guard away from the car (pulled sideways). It can move 50mm easily but doesnt need to be much. This allow the pointy rear section of the head light assembly to pull up. A little manipulation allows the whole assembly to pull away. Remove and replace bulb as per usual and replace the assembly as it came out. It was easy to put back in. The two guard bolts and three assembly mounting bolts and bingo, it's done.

No scratches or marks on the paint at all.

I'd say this is how Hyundai does it as it's quick when you know how.