General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2003 Hyundai Sonata Serpentine Belt Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 12:41 PM
Default 2003 Hyundai Sonata Serpentine Belt Replacement

The outer ring of my crank shaft pully thought it would be funny to fall off on my way home from work... found it layin on something in the bottem of the engine compartment when i got home, $100 dollers later i have the new part delivered to a local repair shop and get it home and manage to take off the rest of the old one by wedging a small pipe against the inside of the pully and a hole in the frame to keep it from spinning, i get the new one on, but..... now... I have it mostly back together except i can't release the pressure from the tensioner (sp?) it has 2 bolts. The hyundai service department told me one of the two should be in a slide but from as far as i can tell, both bolts just go way back into the motor and don't really do much of anything but hold it in place, neither slide anywhere, and there's not enough room between the wheel well and the engine to remove both bolts and pull the part out, seems like some japaneese puzzle, it will move all over the place but not quite out of the engine, there's always one piece of it snagged somewhere to keep me from actually removing it. so, how do i loosen it while it's still in there so i can get that damn belt back on?

Old 04-08-2008, 04:11 PM
Default RE: 2003 Hyundai Sonata Serpentine Belt Replacement

So failing to get a quick reply here and with 2 calls to the hyundai service center resulting in absolutely no usefull information, i had a friend call who happened to know someone at a honda service center that might be able to help, so they had him call me and in no more than 2 minutes on the phone had told me exactly what I needed to do..... so very nice that the honda people are more helpful than the hyundai people with fixing the hyundais... anyway. to help anyone else out who ever needs to get one of these belts back on. the tensioner looks like a teardrop with a pully wheel on the pointy end of the drop, it's attached to the motor by 2 bolts at the ends of what looks like a double sided teardrop. to actually remove the belt you gotta take that off, i think by those 2 bolts, i don't know if you can angle the belt between the pully and the motor without removing that, i'm not sure... but on to the important part.

to releave the tension from the belt, the standard size socket wrench fits nicely in the squar hole at the end of the teardrop with the tension pully. I then took another socket wrench with an extension bar and a deep well socket, putting the deep well socket over the handle of the wrench that i had put into the tensioner. Then i wrapped a coat around the handle of the wrench with the extension bar (for padding cus you have to push down very hard). Bracing the coat padded handle into my armpit or across my chest i grabbed the back of the motor and pulled myself down and slid the belt up over the top pully.. if you only weigh 120 soaking wet with bricks in your pocket, you might wanna have a heavier neighbor help you with that cus i weigh 170ish and i barely got in down enough to get the belt on. hope this helps. and you can all thank honda for the information... i'll be sure to buy any new vehicle from them from now on..