General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2007 Azera 3.3L relearn, reprogram, recalibrate throttle position sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2021, 09:59 AM
Default 2007 Azera 3.3L relearn, reprogram, recalibrate throttle position sensor

I have a 2007 Azera and on cold days the car won't go over 20mph. I believe it's the TPS (throttle position sensor). I replaced the TPS but the car wouldn't idle properly. I was told to disconnect the battery so the ecm would relearn the new sensor but this didn't work.

I've called about 5 different dealers and they've told me different things. Disconnect the battery for 30 minutes, press the throttle plate closed while turning the key to on. I've read about the procedure for other cars but nothing for an 07 Azera.

Does anyone know if this make/model need to be recalibrated at the dealer or is it possible for an owner to recalibrate/relearn/reprogram a new TPS?

I'd greatly appreciated any info on this issue.

John

Old 09-19-2021, 10:47 AM

Usually,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,all that was needed was to clear any codes and drive the vehicle a day or two to allow it to relearn what is permanently in the vehicle computer.

What might help would be to start the engine without touching the throttle pedal and allow it to reset itself according to what is already in the vehicle computer. Let it run , "untouched" for 5 or 10 minutes and see what you get..

Old 09-21-2021, 07:06 AM

Thanks Hanky. The problem I was having was the car wouldn't go over 20 mph on cold days and my research pointed to the TPS. I swapped it out with a new TPS after cleaning the throttle body the best I could without removing it.
When I started the car, the idle went up and down and then the car stalled. I did drive it about a mile but the car stalled a few times at stop lights.

I must have talked to 5 Hyundai service departments and everyone told me something different. From removing the negative on the battery to holding the throttle plate completely shut while putting the key in the on position for 10 seconds and then turning it into the off position. Another service rep told me it needs to be brought into the shop to be recalibrated cost $158. No dealer is going to let me talk to a real mechanic that will tell me how to do it and he might have to do a little research since this is an older car.

I've watched some youtube videos but there aren't any for a 2007 azera. I'm amazed that there in no info anywhere on the internet about this. I've even heard people say there's nothing in the shop manual. I'm wondering if the TPS I bought is faulty.

I saw this info and it might be the problem. 2007 Hyundai Azera TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) | HyundaiProblems.com
Date Reported AUGUST 01, 2010
  • NHTSA Reference #10034649
  • TSB Reference #TSB-10-FL-010
Description: HYUNDAI: DTC P2135/P0638 OR COLD ENGINE RPM FLUCTUATION; TPS REPLACEMENT AND ECM UPDATE. SOME 2.7L, 3.3L OR 3.8L ENGINES IN MODELS IDENTIFIED IN THE APPLICABILITY LIST MAY EXPERIENCE ONE OR MORE OF THE CONDITIONS LISTED. *PE

Want to learn how to fix NHTSA #10034649?
I don't think this is a recall issue that would be a free repair but it does mention an ECM update. I have no idea what tools/equipment would be needed for an ecm update.

I reinstalled the old TPS and the car is running perfectly for now but the colder season will be here shortly. If I have the same problem, I will reinstall the TPS and try your method. Hopefully the car will stay running for 10 minutes.
I just wanted to give you an update and hopefully others find this useful. If I do actually get this problem fixed, I will definitely post everything in the thread.

Thanks for your help.

John

Old 09-21-2021, 12:56 PM

This may all be water under the bridge.
Can I ask what did you use to clean the throttle body and how did you clean it?

Some of the things you posted are questionable at least to me and I believe would have contributed to the original problem.

There is a recommended procedure for cleaning throttle bodies especially if they involve drive by wire. Overdosing the intake is what I believe may have taken place here.

Old 09-21-2021, 06:05 PM

I used brake cleaner and a cloth to clean the intake.
The plate was closed so I sprayed a minute amount of fluid on the plate and cleaned the throttle bottle.

I also sprayed the cloth with fluid and cleaned the top and bottom of the throttle body.

I won't really know until if drops in the 30's or 40's.

Old 09-22-2021, 07:44 AM

One of the critical inputs to the engine computer is temperature.
Don't overlook the possibility of a malfunctioning temp sensor being in the picture.

Old 09-23-2021, 06:34 AM

Thanks Hanky.
It looks like the temp sensor is an inexpensive part to replace.
Are there any recommended ways to test it for malfunction?

Thanks,

John.

Old 09-23-2021, 08:04 AM

With a quality scan tool we compare the coolant, air and any other temp sensors before anything is started and they should all read just about the same. If different ,by more than a degree or two, we look for why.
Today there is not very much the DIY person can do without the necessary test equip.

Old 09-25-2021, 09:12 PM

What is the price of a quality scan tool? Are there any you would recommend? Is there a tool diy mechanics use?

Old 09-26-2021, 02:11 PM

I hope you're sitting down because the more things a scan tool can do , the higher the price.
I don't know of any scan tool ,which doesn't mean there aren't any, but a new one could start at well over $1500.00.

Quick Reply: 2007 Azera 3.3L relearn, reprogram, recalibrate throttle position sensor