General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

99 Accent only running on 2 cylinders when wet?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 04:25 AM
Default 99 Accent only running on 2 cylinders when wet?????

Hi,

I have a 99, 1.3 Accent and just recently it has been having issues when its really cold or wet. It starts up ok and ticks over but it is only firing on two cylinders? Once you have run the engine for a bit and it gets warmed up the water must evaporate from the heat and with a few jolts the engine runs perfect? It will also stop firing if it is raining hard and there is a lot of spray coming off the road. Since this started I have changed the oil, oil filter, plugs and leads and still it is having the problem? It has been in to a garage but they are having trouble working out what it is as once you have run the engine for 10 minutes it goes away until you leave it over night.

I was just wondering if anyone else had ever experienced anything like this and if anyone had any tips as to what it might be???

Cheers
Dave

Old 01-15-2008, 10:59 AM
Default RE: 99 Accent only running on 2 cylinders when wet?????

I'm guessing the check engine light comes on, but all the code likely tells you is there are misfiring cylinders. Based on experience I had with a Ford Explorer one year ago, I suggest you check out the wiring harnesses leading to the coil packs and/or the coil packs themselves. Mine had developed a crack in the plastic body of one of the two coil packs on the Ford engine. When it got wet, two cylinders would cut out like you describe. I'd look for broken connectors and exposed wires on the harness. If nothing is visually obvious, I'd still have the coil packs checked out.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:00 PM
Default RE: 99 Accent only running on 2 cylinders when wet?????

do you have a cai, i have the same problem sometimes when it rains hard i get hydrolocked and my engine will ilde at 300rpms,it has happened twice but my engine did not blow. most of the time when you get water in the engine your evgine will blow cuz water is not compressable like ar therefore creating too much pressure and you end up throwing a rod so this may be a bigger problem then you think. as far as the misfire situation i would not know why it is doing that.