Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Got engine wet now 02 accent wont start

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 12:52 PM
Default Got engine wet now 02 accent wont start

Ok so I used a can of engine degreaser on my engine and then rinsed it off. I know not a good idea but it was so dirty. I was a little careful as I knew if I got the wrong thing wet it wouldnt start. Well I got the wrong thing wet! It was running while I was rinsing and it was from a cold start so the engine was not hot.The motor wont try to turn over it just doesa machine gun like clicking when I hold the key, along with some other strange hums once in a while. It wouldnt start friday afternoon, then I left the hood pen to see if it would dry out. It started about 8 hours later when I held the key and let it do the clicking for about 10 seconds and it ran fine. then it restarted right away. But now today its back to the machine gun clicking.

Lights radio and everything come on strong, except they dim alot more than normal when turning the key. And after letting off the key the lights stay dim for a few seconds.

Old 05-31-2008, 01:32 PM
Default RE: Got engine wet now 02 accent wont start

Most likely a loose or corroded battery cable connection. Undo the cables, clean the terminals and the connectors. Inspect where the ground cable connects to the body and where the positive attaches to the solonoid post on the starter. If you see any visible corrosion on the cables themselves, replace them.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:39 PM

The same thing happened to me when I cleaned the engine on my 03 GT. Turns out water will get down into the plug area and will cause them to missfire and not start very well if at all.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:46 AM

I do not know if the car has a distributor setup, but you may one to check to make sure that the cap and rotor do not have water inside them. Usually the ignition components and MAFS are very sensitive to water. In the future, try and put a plastic bag over any electronic components and do everything with the car turned off. Good Luck.