General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

99 sonata power window problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 09:40 PM
Default 99 sonata power window problem

hey guys, im trying to diagnose a problem im having with my front pass. power window. i just replaced the pass. power window reg/motor assembly and the window will roll down, but not up. using the pass. switch i can roll it down, but theres no sound/click when i try to roll it up. so i figured it was the pass. switch, but i tested the switch by plugging it into the rear pass. window and it worked fine going up and down. so its not the pass. switch. also, the drivers side controls for the pass. window dont work at all (no click, nothin'). and the pass. switch used to roll up on occasion. so, could it be a bad connection somewhere?? where could i look, or how can i test the wires/plugs? any suggestions would be great.

Last edited by tgtrd; 05-09-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:49 AM
Banned

Sounds like a couple of problems. First you need a multimeter to check the wires for power and good ground. Then check continuity of the switch circuits.

Second, sounds like the driver's door switch is bad.

Attached Thumbnails 99 sonata power window problem-window1.gif   99 sonata power window problem-window2.gif   99 sonata power window problem-driversharness.gif   99 sonata power window problem-driverschart.jpg  
Old 05-10-2009, 03:10 PM

sorry to sound like such a noob, but how would i test the wires using a multimeter to check for power and ground.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:20 PM
Banned

Check the power wire to make sure you have 12v. Set the multimeter to DC Volts to check 12v. Check car battery voltage - black to negative - red to positive. That should be about 12.5v with the ignition off, or 13.5 with ignition on (battery charging). That's basically how you check a 12v system.

Now touch red lead to non black wire of the wiring harness and touch black lead to door latch bolt. Should make 12.5v with ignition on with one of those wires (which one, I don't know). If you can't find power, then you know there's a problem someplace with power coming to that window switch.

Check the ground wire to make sure you have continuity to a ground. Set multimeter to ohms to check continuity. If you get ohms, you have continuity. If no ohms, no continuity. Touch the red and black lead ends together - That's continuity. Put one end of test lead in the black side of wire harness and other test lead to door latch bolt. That should test the ground.

See... simple. No rocket science here.