General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Dash Parking and brake light on always

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2020, 09:57 AM
Default Dash Parking and brake light on always

Have both the brake warning light an the parking brake warning lights on all the time (parking brake is not on) I replaced the parking brake switch. the sensor at the master cylinder does not have continuity as the reservoir is full. these are the most common problems that I have heard about. Is there another sensor somewhere that is wired into the dash light warnings? As far as I can tell there is not an ABS system. With both sensors disconnected the warning lights are still on. Forgot to mention car is a 2006 hyundai accent gls 1.6 motor. front disk back drum brakes. Car is Korea made. Not USA model.

Old 09-20-2020, 06:27 AM

Some vehicles with a disc /drum set up had a relay and proportioning valve (Combination Valve) that picked up if there was a hydraulic pressure drop in a split brake system due to a hydraulic leak and were set up to light a dash brake warning lite to notify the operator there was a problem within the hydraulic system. Suggest you have the vehicle checked by a competent shop. There could be a problem of which you are not aware.

Old 09-20-2020, 10:23 AM
Default will do

that is my next option, as the master cylinder is full and remains that way. there appears to be no leaks at least on the back side of the drums or around the calipers.
will let you know what I find out
thanks in advance

Old 09-20-2020, 10:57 AM

Do you have schematics for the the dash warning lights?

Old 09-21-2020, 06:23 AM

No I do not have a wiring schematic for the dashboard

Old 09-21-2020, 02:36 PM

According to what I know, which isn't much, the warning light gets it power from the fuse in dash fuse box
and there is a path to ground provided by the brake fluid level sensor and the parking brake switch.
There are a couple of diodes in the path. The parking brake switch will turn off the daytime running lights if engaged.
So it would appear that somewhere along the wire, there is a short to ground. And since it goes through the warning light, the fuse does not blow
Since the wiring has to go through the firewall, I would look at the wiring to see if there is rubbing through.