General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Electrical problems with my 1997 Hyundai Accent Gt

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 02:04 AM
Default Electrical problems with my 1997 Hyundai Accent Gt

Hi I have a couple of problems with my car and I was wondering if you guys would be so kind as to help me.

I have a 1997 Hyundai Accent Gt Manual 2 Door Hatchback. I bought it some time ago, and it's a really good car, all it needs is some love, and I already replaced the springs, windshield, windshield wiper, muffler, put cotter pins in the shift, got a stereo, and it's coming along real nicely.

The major problem that I'm having that no regular mechanic or myself for that matter can help me fix is some sort of electrical problems in the car. Very very weird. First off, I thought it was the battery. Got a whole new battery, new connections, NTB put it in for me. The battery helped the car start up better, but there was still electrical problems afterwards. Went to Sears AutoCenter, got them to do a free check-up on my alternator. I actually saw them do this, guy gave me a receipt, signed off on it, no problems at all with the alternator. Though I rather there had been problems with it cuz I woulda just put 200 or so into it and that woulda been that. The guy told me the cause of the problems could be anything. He said that it might be the car stereo, or it could be that some wiring is stripped somewhere, or that something is on somewhere in the car unknowingly or something like that.

So I went and got my car inspected, and I still don't know what the problem is. Here are some of the problems that I have. Sometimes my right parking light will not work for some reason. If I turn my car radio past a certain volume (40) then the music stops completely. The stereo still has power, but all sound stops (this could be power to the speakers stopped, dunno). Usually if I turn the volume back down, then turn the car off, then turn it on again it the stereo will come on and the sound with it.

Then also, if I have my lights on, the radio will turn on but once again no sound coming out at all. And if I have the radio on, if I turn the lights on (headlights, not like lights in your car, I can use those fine) then the radio will instantly shut off. Also, for some reason there is no power going to the back left speaker, we tested the wires in the back and there is absolutely no power going thru the wires, tho there is power going thru the front left part of the car though. And also there is a dimmer for the lights on the dash that turn them up or down, and if I turn up the lights for the dashboard too high, the lights on the dash will cut off. Once again if I turn the dimmer down, then turn the lights off then back on again it will reset itself.

So lol as you notice this is quite a dilemma, because it isn't the battery, isn't the alternator, some of the problems were happening before car stereo got installed so I know at least a few of the problems COULDN'T be the car radio, and then on top of all this, most electrical problems come from batteries and alternators, and I happen to know a quite of lot of mechanics and none can even come close to helping me. The only option I have right now is going to the Hyundai Dealership and having them fix it for me, but that will seriously run me like half the price of the car. If you guys could help me then I would appreciate that so much.

Old 01-23-2006, 02:06 AM
Default RE: Electrical problems with my 1997 Hyundai Accent Gt

oh and by the way all my fuses have been checked, all the faulty ones replaced, though then again if the fuses didn't work then it wouldn't work period instead of partially working or working only half the time.