Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Accent 2001 1.5L weird electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 10:27 PM
Default Accent 2001 1.5L weird electrical problems

Hi!

This is my first post. Thanks for taking a look at it. Problem is pretty weird and I have been investigating its causes for a few days now.

First things first. I was standing at a red light, idling engine just shut down. Tried to restart - not starting. Changed the battery - problem solved for 2 days.

Engine then started to run erratically after driving onto the highway. I could barely make it to destination with engine running with a "fish catching" feeling like if I had misfires (I know I have some voltage leaks through the ignition wires on rainy days). Once ignition switch was turned off, engine wouldn't start for about half an hour (time to get the motor to cool).

I've been investigating on the alternator. Last week, voltage at the battery with the engine running was of 14.6V, so I was quite confident that the alternator was no problem, but when the problem happens, I get a voltage oscillating between 8 and 10V which is really bad. Cluster's lights gets away, rpm gauge goes crazy, and all electrical utilities stop working. Plus, engine idles crazily but this is normal since electrical power is loss somewhere.

Something more worrying happened today. I just started the car to take some voltage measurement at the battery and I noticed that it was only rising, rising, and rising. I turned off the engine when I saw that it wouldn't stop passed 16V. It scared me because I do not wan't to make the problem grows bigger.

This is probably some voltage regulator problems, but I know this might also be due to bad grounding. I will investigate on this as soon as the weather here in Quebec gets more clement. About this, what should be checked first? I did a ground test between the negative lead of the battery and the alternator casing, and it showed less than 0.1V so I guess my grounding system is no problem. Am I right? Also, how to check the voltage regulator? it is an internal VR included in the alt assembly.

What else could be the causes of this problem?

I invite you to go check this youtube link. This is what happens when the electrical problem occurs. Engine idles badly, but as I said, this is surely due to lack of power in the electrical circuit.

accent 2001 weird electrical problems - YouTube

To make this history short: voltage overload when car starts, low voltage output after some ride.

Thanks a lot! I'll also give some feedback about all this.

Also, go see my other post about squeaky noise coming from the front axle.

Old 01-31-2016, 01:09 AM
Default Accent 2001 1.5L weird electrical problems

Just an idea. Fallow the kiss rule. Keep it super simple. First I would check the positive wire that goes from the battery to the starter. There's a smaller wire for the starter solenoid but if the car starts it shouldn't be the problem. The red wire could be. The battery wires are available at Canadian Tire and are not very expensive. There is a possibility it is the alternator brushes. Look into that as well.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:53 AM

What do you mean by not starting?
Do you mean the engine cranks but doesn't fire up?
Or do you mean the engine doesn't crank?

A bad idle can cause a low alternator output which in turn gives bad voltages which causes bad engine idle.

In any case, check the alternator or have an auto parts shop do it.
In the states, they usually do it for free (cause they would like to sell you one).

As for not starting? ...
if it doesn't crank then check the starter relay and/or by pass the relay.
Still doesn't work. Check the voltages at the starter while cranking. If you got good voltage and grounds then replace starter.

if it cranks but won't fire up then it could possibly be the crankshaft sensor.
Electrical item that tends to be intermittent sometimes before complete failure.
But best to go back to basics and check for spark, fuel, air, compression, timing

Old 01-31-2016, 11:41 PM
Default weird electrical problems

More suggestions. 1. Positive wire on the battery. 2. Remove the clove box, Seriously, this is easy. There is a clip on each side of the glove box. pull on the left clip first, then the right. The glove box will come down easily. You will see the blower motor for the heater area. On the right, there is a small box, module with a wire clip. Make sure this box is installed secure and that the bracket is tight. There are ground wires behind the bracket. This is the module for many electronic parts. 3. If you have problems with your spark plug wires when it's raining, this is probably what you have to fix. Check the ignition coil. There is a ground on there as well, on the bracket, on the right hand side of the spark plug wires. You probably need a new ignition coil. There is a clip in the front with a single wire on it. unplug it. Two bolts under that to be taken off. unplug the clips for the plug wires carefully so you don't brake them. Spark plug wires should be taken off and changed if possible. Take off the ground, the other clip and then the last bolt. You should be able to take the ignition coil off. change it if it looks rusted. Get some dielectric grease and put some on each end of the male plugs where the wires will go in. same with the spark plug wires. Your car needs a tune-up. This is the basic. Is your car automatic or Standard? If Standard look to make sure the clutch isn't pushing on and cutting wires.