General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help!! Pulling to the left & won't stop!!! $500 invested!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 02:36 AM
Default Help!! Pulling to the left & won't stop!!! $500 invested!!

Hey!! I got a 1995 accent with my income tax.

Drove it for 2 weeks with no problems (of course the window reely things dont work great) but mechanically seemed like a great ride.

It began having a slight vibration and a once in awhile clicking noise while turning.

Duh, cv shaft or 1/2 shaft whichever you call it.

Did it, TWICE. The local auto store convinced me the replaced one wasn't built right. Seemed to get better for about 2 days.

It started pulling to the left HARD and the steering wheel is off centered.

I pulled into a tire shop and asked them to align it and check the balance on the tires and rims. Of course, they took my money and did all that and proceed to tell me that "it looks like your tire is going to fall off".

Didn't tell me what was wrong with it. Drove home (1 mile)and it still pulls to the left and it appears that the wheel itself is off center from the wheelwell.

I'm at my wits end. I've got to drive my "new" car for 2 weeks and 2 days and I've had it for almost 3 months!!!

We've checked everything down there and it all seems to be there and it all seems solid. The wheel just doesn't look right (the front drivers).

Someone asked if I hit a curb. I didn't, but who knows what my friend or my husband did.

Any ideas? It is undriveable and it just doesn't look safe. Thanks guys!

I love the car otherwise. Seems to have been a great buy at $800 (of course, if it ran how it did when I bought it!) Thanks again! Any ideas would be appreciated!

The pic isbefore the problem, but if someone asks, I'll go take pics of what I mean by "off center from the wheelwell"

[IMG]local://upfiles/3175/4E9B531A248249189839BB0A5CCEC4C2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-09-2007, 04:20 AM
Banned
Default RE: Help!! Pulling to the left & won't stop!!! $500 invested!!

If you jack your car up at that wheel and spin the wheel by hand does the wheel spin true?...or does it wobble?

Aluminum wheels can get knocked out of true very easily. Only remedy in that case is a new wheel.

If that is not the answer then maybe something weird, like someone put the wrong hub assembly on it .

Old 04-09-2007, 08:56 AM

Move the wheel to the other side and see if the problem follows. If so, the wheel/tire is the problem. In that case, replace it. Do the brakes work ok? Might you have problems with the callipers. How does the rotor on that side look and does the tire indicate uneven wear.

Something that obvious should not be a problem to resolve by a good mechanic. If you see a lot of duct tape, bailing wire and pliers around the shop, keep going.

The clicking sound may have been the cv joint. You can test by driving in small circles and listen. Bad joints are more obvious while turning in tight circles.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:15 AM

Forgot to mention the steering. Does it pull while braking or all the time? In your steering mechanisim there is a proportion valve that keeps the preasure in the system equal. If that is not working, then it will cause the system to pull one way or another. Was it always like this or developed after purchase. The vibration you mentioned does point to the wheel though. Do you feel the vibration in the wheel or the entire car. Might there be something in the tranny causing the vibration. Wheel/rotor/brake problems will be felt through the steering wheel. How is the fluid in he power steering reservoir? Foamy, discolored and topped off?