General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help with Stubborn Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 09:50 AM
Default Help with Stubborn Rotors

My 03 Elantra needs a front brake job and although not a professional mechanic, I have done a number of front brakes and decided to do the job myself.

However, I can not get the rotors off. I snapped 3 of the 4 Phillips screws holding them on but have drilled them out. I have had 2 professional mechanics work on it and they have been unable to get them off either.We have hammered on them extensively and used generous amounts of PB Blaster but to no avail.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom on how to get these rotors off? We can not see that anything is holding them on other than rust.The car has spent most of it's life where there are generous amounts of snow and road salt.

TimT

Old 07-05-2007, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Help with Stubborn Rotors

Get a bigger hammer. Seriously. The rear rotors on my 2004 Tiburon were the same way. As long as you are sure the screws are drilled out (I used a drill bit larger than the screw head to make sure the entire hear was gone), pound away as hard as you can. For some reason, Hyundai assembly line workers have never heard of anti-seize.

Once you do get yours off, be sure to clean the area very well and use plenty of anti-seize on the hub where the rotor mounds. Lastly, you don't need the mounting screws you drilled out. The caliper and wheel will hold the rotors in place.