General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Hyundai i30 job done pics added!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 05:34 PM
Default Hyundai i30 job done pics added!

Hello! Sorry to barge in like this! lol... I am an airbrush artist, and I have a client that owns a Hyundai i30 - I do not know what year it is. I need to remove the bonnet so that I can paint it, and I was wondering if anybody here could kindy help me with some questions?
- The rough dimensions of the bonnet? (Length and width, I need to know if it will fit inside my vehicle or not, this way I can know if I need to borrow my dads ute)
- Removal tips? Does it have hydraulic struts, or does it just have a bonnet stand? If hydraulic, is the bonnet easily removed?
- Just, a bonus question, does anybody know if these cars are painted with 2k paints or is a base and clear method used?
I am fairly new at this part of my business, and I will gain confidence over time, as I approach various vehicles. I just want to be prepared, as I will be doing this in front of the client and I want to appear professional, allow him to be at ease with me attacking his baby (something I totally understand, as I would be freaking out at somebody I didnt know very well started taking my car apart lol!)
Thankyou, Kirsty.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:38 PM
Default RE: Hyundai i30 bonnet info needed

You are an artist, obviously not a mechanic. Have the client deliver the hood to you and let them deal with the re-install after they have paid for your services.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:53 PM

Hey, cool, I appreciate your response, and fair enough, I am not an official mechanic or panelbeater, but I have rebuilt a car from the ground up - full resto of a classic car. I know how to do mechanical repairs, panelbeating and resprays. Apart from my own car, I have assisted others in my club with their cars, and other various dismantling for my previous clients. I just am not familiar with this particular car. Main thing I really needed to know, I suppose was whether or not the bonnet will fit in my vehicle or whether I need to organise the ute. Im sure I will figure out removing the bonnet as soon as I look at it, but was just seeing if I could get any tips; Mainly in case I had to deal with hydraulic bonnet lifts as that I one thing I have not dealt with before as I mainly work on classic cars.
Hope it makes more sense now, sorry I didnt explain all this before but I didnt think I needed to.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:08 PM

I have rebuilt a car from the ground up
We should be asking you for car advice, not the other way around. You'll have no problem with the bonnet. The struts unbolt as easy as the hinges.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:50 PM

Thanks. I appreciate the help.
And, lol, well, I cant say I know much about modern cars, but hey who knows...

This is my baby that I rebuilt, a 1972 Mini Clubman:

Not quite finished in that pic but I dont have a later one uploaded... anyway, just to show you, and I airbrushed it too.
Anyway, thanx... All I need now is the dimensions, I will call some wreckers i think.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Oooh. Pretty.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:02 PM

Ok, time for an update, It had a normal bonnet stand and it fit in my car just fine! All went well, and I have one very happy customer. Here it is: