Hyundai Tiburon This coupe has been the sporty model from Hyundai for three generations.

08 Aftermarket High Wing Installation *PICS Added*

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 10:37 AM
Default 08 Aftermarket High Wing Installation *PICS Added*

Report on aftermarket high wing for 08 Tiburon GS. Aesthetically, I prefer the high wing to the low wing. Unfortunately, my Tiburon came with a low wing. I inquired at my Hyundai Dealer the cost of the high wing as comes on the 08 Tiburon SE. $607 unpainted was a little too steep for my taste. As an aside, getting the proper information out of my dealers parts department was like pulling teeth. They just couldn't seem to get their minds around the fact that I wanted to put a part from a different car on my car. I must say that while my dealer presented a pleasant experience while purchasing a car their customer service at the parts counter left a lot to be desired. Anyway, that's getting way off track.

I found a website which advertises "Factory style" high wing.
http://www.factorywings.com/-strse-1...ler/Detail.bok

I must say that the retailer's web pics show that their wing looks exactly like the OEM Hyundai high wing at a substantial savings. I ordered the 03-08 primed (unpainted) spoiler. I ordered the unpainted wing because I thought $99 for paint was a lil steep and I had gotten a massive door ding like a week after I bought my Tibby and thought I could do better by having the ding fixed and the wing painted at the same time. I was wrong. I still paid $100 to get the wing painted.

Review: The wing, as furnished, by Factory Wings is of better than average quality for aftermarket body parts. Quality is not quite as good as the OEM low wing but much better than most other aftermarket body parts, abs or fiberglass. I have some measure of experience with this type of thing. A minimum of prep work is required before painting.

Mounting hardware was another story. The hardware kit was lacking the screws that hold the LED brake assembly to the wing. Two #10x 1/2" Pan Head Phillips Stainless sheet metal screws solved that problem. The box the wing came in was labeled 03 to 05 Tiburon. I'm guessing that different years Tibbys use various methods of mounting because the screws furnished to mount the wing to the deck were totally inappropriate for my 08. Four #14x 1-1/2" Pan Head Phillips Stainless sheet metal screws and matching Stainless washers fixed that issue. So, a trip to the Home Depot and $4 worth of hardware was all I needed to make life nice again. The only other parts I used out of the installation kit were the foam rubber gaskets, a couple of tie wraps and wire connectors.

The downside of this whole project is the 3rd brake light mounted in the wing. Fishing the long wire through the wing is a PITA. I had to drill a matching 1/4" hole on the leg of the wing to correspond to the hole in my hatch for the wire to pass. Again, I'm guessing difference in years. Additionally, it's the only reason the interior panel on the hatch needs to be removed. Otherwise, this whole installation was a breeze. Incidentally, the polarity of the wiring is such. On the aftermarket wing brake LED, the RED wire is PLUS and the BLACK wire is NEGATIVE. On the 08 Tiburon, the WHITE wire is PLUS and the BLACK wire is NEGATIVE. No OEM connectors are furnished here. Scotch lock wire connectors are furnished in the kit.

One last item. You can order the wing directly from the manufacturer, Razzi (search google). The wing costs more ($141) but the painting is only $70. You do the math that works for you. I will say this. When the body shop that did my work got the paint that was supposed to match my paint (by paint code), it was a poor match. The body shop had to modify the paint to get it to match. This is the second time in the last two years that this has happened to me. Most of the body shops in my area order their paint from a paint supplier in Orlando, which stocks all the major brands. The supplier mixes the paint just like the Home Depot would for house paint. I'm not even gonna speculate what went wrong, but this isn't an isolated incident for me and now I'm really skeptible about ordering prepainted parts.

I'm happy. Enjoy the pics. Just click on the links. I couldn't get the picks to embed.

Links didn't work either. I followup with pics in a latter post

Old 10-07-2008, 11:09 AM
Default RE: 08 Aftermarket High Wing Installation

Ok let's try this again.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Looks great! Nice job. I prefer the tall wing as well.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:09 AM

Thanks

Old 10-08-2008, 06:08 AM

If I didn't get the SE I was going to put the SE wing on the GT, I love the look of it rather than the low wing. Look's great!! Congrats