General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

i need some advice on my tiburon

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 03:11 PM
Default i need some advice on my tiburon

I have a 97 tiburon with the 2.0l. My check engine recently came on and the vehicle started idling funny. I went to auto zone and had it checked and it said maf/vaf low input so I went to a junk yard and got a new mass air flow and I also bought a new filter (the aftermaket cone filters) and cleaned the maf with the crc maf cleaner and hooked it all up and still the same. So my question is I have a couple problems with my car the check engine for the maf and the idling funny sometimes problems and when I start the car it dies after a second but if I hold the gas pedal all the way down and start it it will start are these problems related to one part or what parts does it sound like could be bad

Old 11-14-2008, 03:55 PM
Default RE: i need some advice on my tiburon

I went to auto zone and had it checked and it said maf/vaf low input
Sounds like:

P0102 Mass air flow (MAF) sensor/volume air flow (VAF) sensor – low input Wiring short to ground, MAF/VAF sensor, ECM

One of three possabilities and you have eliminated one already. 1) The MAF sensor has a short, but the replacement did not solve the situation. The used replacement sensor could also have a short, so that may not have totally eliminated that potential issue. 2) The harness connetor is bad or the harness wire (pin #2) has a break in it. Take a multimeter and check the harness using the following procedure:

1997 > G 2.0 DOHC > Fuel System

HARNESS INSPECTION PROCEDURES

If you do not have battery voltage when testing pin#2 on the harness connector, then there is a break in the harness wire you need to track down or the MFI relay has problems. If the harness checks out and you continue to assume the replace sensor is good, then the third issue is a failing engine control module.

I also bought a new filter (the aftermaket cone filters) and cleaned the maf with the crc maf cleaner and hooked it all up and still the same.
Does this filter require oil impregnation to work properly? If so, this could be part of the problem. The oil ends up on the heated sensor film, making the sensor malfunction. Yes, you can clean the sensor, but with this type of filter it's only a matter of time before it builds up again. You may have over-oiled the new filter which immediately contaminated the freshly cleaned replacement sensor you installed.

Good luck.