Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Need Some Advice After Headlight Fogged

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 03:59 PM
Default Need Some Advice After Headlight Fogged

Hey everyone.

I hope I've posted this in the correct forum section. If not, please forgive me. I couldn't find the troubleshooting/problems section.

Anyways, I own a 99 Hyundai Elantra, of which the headlight (driver side) has gotten foggy. It's certainly not as transparent as the passenger side light. At first I wasn't sure why one was foggy and the other wasn't, but then I took a closer look at the foggy light and noticed a small crack on the outside casing. I believe this crack has allowed moisture to enter the light. I've heard of people restoring their headlights with special DIY kits, but I've decided to take the route of simply replacing the light with an aftermarket light from an online store. I found two sites that I particularly liked, but I'm unsure of whether or not they are legitimate businesses. Furthermore, I don't want to fall prey to a scam. Has anyone purchased from either of these sites and can verify that they are a legitimate business? The following parts match the oem number of the one I need. Thanks in advance.

Hyundai Elantra Headlight > AutoLightCenter.com
or
1999-2000 Hyundai Elantra: Headlights: New Aftermarket OEM Replacement

Old 04-02-2011, 08:39 AM

I have had several Hyundais....if I'm understanding you right, the plastic is "foggy", no longer clear and transparent.

all my Hyundais have had this foggy cheap plastic headlamp plastic issue.

I tried the expensive wipe on "crap" and it lasts about long enough for someone to be fooled. But once it dry's the fog comes right back.
I tried high # sandpaper, I tried gels....nothing worked for long.

They are extremely pricey , as you know, to buy new ones. I have bought one online and it was almost $200 each.

I have not had any luck returning these Plastic Headlamps to factory-new shiny & clear headlamp.

Its almost as if some odd solvent is outgassing over time and through heat and ruins the headlamp.

I have had luck once at a junk yard. But these are often in high demand.

If you find something that works please post it! Good Luck.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:39 PM

Pep Boys will do it for $50 but any good? I use Plastic-X or PlastX. Couple companies make headlight defoggers. Works for a few days, maybe a month. If you really, really, really sand them and work on them, it's possible to de-fog them. If you do, put some PlastX or stuff to keep the UV from fogging them up again. But it's possible to bring them back from the dead. The third market jobs. I don't know. Not the exact OEM fit you are used to.