General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

I'll never buy another Hyundai

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 10:32 PM
Angry I'll never buy another Hyundai

I'll never buy another Hyundai again, because of their useless after sales service.

We purchased a new ix35 from a local dealer, Cranbourne Hyundai in 2013 for $30,000.00 and then upgraded to a new Tucson from Cranbourne Hyundai in 2016, at a cost of $43,200.00.

Two of our daughters purchased new i30’s from Cranbourne Hyundai in 2016, at a cost of over $50,000.00.

In total, we have purchased new vehicles from Hyundai at a cost of well over $120,000.00.

Ever since I first started driving the Tucson, I noticed that the reverse camera image was terrible at night time, especially if there was a light source behind me, which made it almost impossible to define any images clearly.

As I didn’t drive very often at night time, I kept putting off doing anything about it until both of my daughters kept telling me how bad the image was, compared to the reverse camera images on their i30’s (which cost around half what we paid for the Tucson).

I finally decided to contact Cranbourne Hyundai last year to inquire what can be done, explaining that the camera was fine in daylight hours, but terrible and very unsafe at night time.

They told me that I had to leave the car with them over night for them to check it, which I knew would be pointless because no one stayed there after 6:00 pm, but I did as they suggested anyway.

As I suspected, when I picked up the car, they informed me that they could find nothing wrong and the reverse camera image was as it should be for that model.

I tried stressing with them that the test could only be done properly when it was completely dark, which wasn’t possible in the way that they had tested it. This was also pointless.

After contacting Consumer Affairs Victoria and going through any legal avenue that they suggested, which included providing photos of all reverse cameras images on all three vehicles, taken at the same time of night and in the same position, Hyundai still refused to do anything to help me and I was stuck with a very unsafe, garbage reverse camera.

It seemed that my only choice was to accept that Hyundai had no interest in doing anything to resolve the problem and I realized that my only option was to have a better quality reverse camera fitted, at my expense.

Approximately two weeks ago the image went blank on the audio unit for the radio and any settings, including navigation and phone. The only images that would show on the screen were the reverse camera, USB when I connected one and the volume control.

I have been informed by two professional car audio technicians that the audio system in a high number of Hyundai vehicles up until and including 2016, have a major failure rate of around 30 - 40%.

Those statistics are disgraceful and completely unacceptable, considering the cost of the vehicle.

The warranty ran out on the Tucson in August last year and after the complete lack of any care or real help regarding the reverse camera while the car was under warranty, I knew ringing them would be a waste of time, but I tried anyway.

As I suspected, the after sales service from Hyundai in Cranbourne was absolutely useless, with only suggestions that would be very expensive for me, in regard to resolving the problem.

I received an email from Hyundai a few days later, asking me to explain the problem, which I did in a detailed email response.

I waited four days and as I expected, I received no reply.

I tried emailing them again three days ago and still no response.

I am now convinced that Hyundai is no different to any other company in regard to after sales service. Once they have your money, forget it.

The fact that we have purchased vehicles from them well in excess of $120,000.00 has made no difference whatsoever.

When we purchased the ix35, I used to recommend Hyundai to people, but after these terrible experiences with the Tucson, I inform people of what has happened and advise them to purchase elsewhere.

Old 10-11-2022, 11:40 PM

In west Michigan I had poor after service too I gave Honda Insight a chance ,a year ago
service great outstanding follow ups ,
imagine NO rattles of squeaks , give Honda a try

Old 10-12-2022, 01:35 PM

When sales are down, the service dept carries the dealership. It is very unfortunate that they have short memories, but the time will come and the wind will change for them and you know the expression about how it all comes back to me now.

Not all dealerships are the same. They are usually independently owned and operated. If possible can you locate a different dealership and see what they say?

Another great thing these days , a lot of different manufacturers have service depts because they need them. Their stuff breaks down too.

Not all are neglectful as your present dealership appears to be. Keep trying , the good ones are out there, we just have to find them.