General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Multiple CELs. One Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 01:30 PM
JLF
Default Multiple CELs. One Problem?

Back story: My girlfriend is driving home Thursday night on the highway when the engine just shuts off. From her retelling, it didn't sputter, lose power or anything; it just died and the CEL came on. She manages to get it to the side of the road where she tries to start it a few more times but can get it to stay running, so she calls AAA to get it towed to her house. Then she gets a ride from a co-worker to this function thing where I pick her up later. Once we get back to her house I start messing with the car as much as I can (It was dark and late). With the engine cold it starts fine but dies out within a few seconds. So I lay on the throttle a bit to keep the rpms up and let it warm up a bit. After a half minute I can stay off the throttle and it runs fine. No sputtering or any other erratic behavior (CEL is still on). I can shut it off and if I start it warm it starts and runs fine. The next day I pull and clear the following codes:

P0446 Evaporative emission (EVAP) system, vent control ā€“ circuit malfunction Wiring, EVAP canister purge valve, ECM

P0102 Mass air flow (MAF) sensor/volume air flow (VAF) sensor ā€“ low input Wiring short to ground, MAF/VAF sensor, ECM

P0113 Intake air temperature (IAT) sensor ā€“ high input Wiring open circuit/short to positive, ground wire defective,IAT sensor, ECM

I run through the little starting test again and it throws the same codes and has the same symptoms. I take it for a little 30 minute test drive/ ran some errands with no issues. Basically all side streets with a couple of warm starts. Ran fine.

Although Iā€™m not a mechanic by trade I know my way around cars just as good as if I were. I also know that every make and model has its own eccentricities (especially with electrical systems). Based off the symptoms, I'm thinking it's just a bad MAF that is causing all three of the codes but before I go replacing unnecessary (and expensive) sensors, I wanted to check with some people who are more familiar with these models.

So thoughts are def appreciated.....thanks

Old 05-07-2007, 01:31 PM
JLF
Default RE: Multiple CELs. One Problem?

Car is an 03 sonata btw.......

Old 05-13-2007, 06:06 PM
Default RE: Multiple CELs. One Problem?

Have not had this problem myself, have you taken it to the dealer yet?

WheelBroker1 [sm=shades.gif]