General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

NO START 2004 Santa Fe 2.4L

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 01:59 PM
Default NO START 2004 Santa Fe 2.4L

I am a new user here and found this site after 3 weeks of frustration. Here is as a complete rundown of what has happened and what I know about this problem.
I was driving my GFs 2004 Sante Fe 2.4L. I went over a small speed bump in a apt. complex @ normal speed (5-7mph), it came off the bump and DIED!! It would crank fine but not even THINK about trying to fire.
We had been having some problems with the catalytic converter, so figuring we had to change it out anyways, this might be the problem (backed up and can not breathe).
No dice there, so we have it towed to a mechanic we sometimes use. He says it is a fuel pump and that it is covered under our aftermarket warranty. Again, NO DICE. HE than tells us it is the Crankshaft Position Sensor and he has to order the part. Calls us up, said he put it in and...NO start...he wants to send it to the dealer.
The dealer gets it and says it is...THE CRANKSHAFT SENSOR... hmmm we just had one put in....NOT!!
the 1st guy changes his story to: I was GONNA put it in but was not 100% sure it would work..and it is hard...so I did'nt do it (after he TOLD us he had,no wonder he did not try to collect any $$)
The dealer wanted $600 for that plus $250 for the countershaft belt...I did'nt even ask about the timing belt or water pump, we picked it up,half torn down, and brought it home.
At this point I am LOOKING at the parts and am no slouch on engines, SO I replaced the Following parts and reassemble:
Counter Shaft Belt
Water Pump and Gasket
Crankshaft Sensor
Timing Belt
I got it all back together finally and, cranks but NO START...not even a try.
At this point we are down close to $1,000 between the Cat, parts, towing, rental cars,etc.
I read the thread here:
https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/s...t=countershaft
I want to try the CAMSHAFT sensor but it is a $100 shot in the dark.
How can I check (test) the one on there?
I am NOT sure what the PCM is...
and how would I find an open circuit?
Remember that (presumably) the Hyundai Dealer checked all of the electronics before ripping into the engine, so I am ruling out an ECM failure or any fuel issues...but am NOT closed minded as to anything it might be.
I REALLY hope to hear from one of you GURUs on here,
The little Misses is ready to give the thing up on trade in for about a $3,000-$5,000 LOSS
I know it ran fine because I was the one driving it when it died. I know it can again if I FIND this GHOST in the system
THANK YOU in advance for any and all help.
Jay B.
Las Vegas, NV