General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

OBD Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 07:41 PM
Default OBD Question

Hello All,

I am reasonably mechanically as well as technically -inclined, but I am completely new at do-it-yourself-ing anything as far as cars are concerned. I have a 2004 Hyunda Accent GT (3-door) and was looking into getting some sort of diagnostic reader tool for it.

So far I have read about the popular Elmscan 5 and the OBDLink product line. I have surmised some of the following...

Elmscan 5
+ Compatible with a wider range of diagnostic programs
+ Cheaper in some cases
- Hardware interface is slower than competitor's product, worse for getting real-time data from the car (but still possible)

OBDLink
+ Faster hardware interface, better realtime data capabilities
- Compatible with fewer (possibly only one???) line of software

I realize that some of this may be subjective but anyone who is bored, feel free to point out where the above is demonstrably wrong (i.e. OBDLink software compatibility?)

Where I am REALLY unclear is on the following:
What I am trying to figure out now is, do I need either of those devices? They appear to make J1962 (Technical name for ODB interface, I think) to USB cables. Can I effectively obtain the same data from the car if I just get one of these cables and plug one end into the car and the other end into my USB port? And if this is even possible with the Hyundai Accent, what software would I use on the laptop in order to make this happen?

Any help would be appreciated, and many thanks ^^

Old 11-09-2011, 09:17 PM

I use a product called OBDPro (OBDPros). Has many of the same specs as the OBDLink and comes with free/shareware versions of several pieces of software. I popped for the bluetooth version but after using it for a while, I would buy the USB version instead and spend the difference on software if you want to monitor "real time" data graphically.

If all you want to do is read codes, go to Harbor Freight or Amazon for a Cen-Tech code reader (http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...enu-98568.html). Harbor Freight lists them for $60, but if you shop around you can often find them for $30 on sale. The Cen-Tech will reset check engine light error codes.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:59 AM

Thanks so much for your reply...! I should have been a little more specific about what I wanted. Right now I have no check engine light condition or problem that needs diagnosing (Fingers crossed). I would definitely like to be able to read whatever codes may come up in the future, but I am also interested in getting a fuller range of information from the diagnostic port, as I've seen some of the software is able to provide.

I don't need the absolute-fastest, multiple-updates-per-second supply of data that would allow me to watch diagnostic readouts that change while I drive the vehicle (although if I can get this at little added cost, I wont complain or anything). That said, I do want to be able to access the broader amount of information in a way that is not too cumbersome. Based on what I've seen as the entry-level price for a diagnostic unit that plugs into a laptop, I am willing to pay the $20-40 extra to get one of those over a self-contained handheld unit with an LCD. Although I'm sure the handheld units work fine, I'd like to be able to use the laptop and eventually settle on my preferred choice of diagnostic software. Whatever comes with the hardware I buy will be fine to get me started, though.

So basically what I'm saying is that I'm probably going to settle on one of those wired diagnostic units, unless a unit is not necessary at all and it is possible to get all the work done with (OBD2 to USB cable) + laptop + the correct software. (I've not seen any evidence that this is possible for Hyundai vehicles, yet. But then again I only started googling this subject yesterday.)

Also I'm assuming that the bluetooth/wifi options on the diagnostic units have no performance benefit over the USB equivalents, strictly speaking, USB is plenty fast for anything up to and including some realtime video, and bluetooth and/or wifi solutions are usually slower.

Your replies are helpful to confirm and/or correct whether I've got my facts straight and I'm barking up the correct tree thus far.... Thanks to anyone who is still following along

Last edited by jack_bauer; 11-10-2011 at 03:03 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:27 PM
Default Elmscan 5 works on my '04 sonata

I have had the elmscan for longer than i have had the sonata. The only vehicle i have ever had connection issues with, was a toyota prius (i didnt expect it to work, but was curious). I am using the basic included software, it does streaming data, but the interface leaves something to be desired. Also, each additional thing monitored at the same time reduces the refresh rate for all items (thats a hardware limitation, probably not software).

Old 11-20-2014, 07:17 AM
Default OBD Scan Tool

Jack,
A couple of months back the Airbag light came on in my 06 Santa Fe.
After many frustrating hours of research and dead ends I made the leap
and purchased an Autel 619 model. My reasoning was simple: I want to
read and reset: PCM, SRS and ABS codes on my car. I found that most
of the Wireless plug ins would not do what I wanted. None of the USB
computer friendly units would do what I wanted. Of course, with an added
$400 I could purchase software for doing what I wanted. It was very
aggravating trying to get my hands on the "All in One" unit.
I made the decision to buy the Autel for $125 shipped to my house from
an Amazon supplier. I used it on my car and reset the SRS control module
after reading the code. The issue has not returned, guess it was a temporary
error, most likely caused by me when I replaced the AC system a few
months prior.
After using it on a few vehicles, I feel like I made a wise decision since
all my 3 requirements were met. The one thing I would like to see that is
not available on the unit is a wider list of PIDS available for the "Live Scan"
options. The unit is limited to roughly 20 parameters. So far the scan
tool has been good to work with and the software downloads from Autel
are fairly simple to figure out and work with. For my money, I would say
it is a good entry tool. If you are a "Seasoned OBD Guru" you would say
it doesn't do enough. Of course, then you will be ready to buy a higher
priced unit, say an "Omni-Scan" tool that will sell for close to $300, maybe
you will want to move up the ladder and buy a powerful high end tool for
close to $1,000. Who knows, the sky is the limit in this technology.
Stay clear of those Bluetooth scanners, watch out for those USB
computer tools, they initially look great, but if you want versatility, I would
still recommend the Autel series. Most any of the products out there will
work for your basic PXXXX codes, but when you want to go deeper into
the computers your car uses, you will not be able to, unless you unload
much more cash to "Expand" your initial purchase. So, think about what
you want to diagnose and then by the product that will let you
communicate with them. Best of luck and I hope this is value added.
Most OBD codes are categorized in a Body, Chassis or Powertrain series of
codes that are generated by many onboard computers that all have the
ability to talk to a scan tool by Common Area Networking or serial data technologies.

Best Regards,
Paul