General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

problem after start up 94 xl

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 07:07 AM
Default problem after start up 94 xl

Hi all
I have a 94 excel after start up it begains to fuel up then the auto choke comes on then the cheak engine light, lights then it all goes good again,the problem is intermedeite,i am a bit old school with car's that have computer's,could some one explain to me why what cause's the cheak engine light to come on,how is it reset ect,what censor's control the auto choke operation,as it has never work untill this problem started, any help would be great.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:59 AM
Default RE: problem after start up 94 xl

This engine doesn't have an automatic choke, it's a multiport fuel injected engine. I think what you are witnessing is the idle speed controller either malfunctioning or being over worked as it responds to some other problem. The check engine light will come on if any misfiring occurs on any of the cylinders. This could be as simple as a malfunctioning fuel injector or a disconnected lead to one of the engine control systems like the MASS airflow sensor or the air intake temp sensor. The ISC switch to the controller may be bad. Check all the harnesses around the engine first to make sure there are no loose connections, including the injector harness. You may have to take this problem to a garage where they can scan the ECM while the problem manifests itself.

Also, goto:

http://www.hmaservice.com/

Once you get logged in, there's a PDF describing the fuel system on this car (Excel X2) under the Shop manual section that describes some simplier diagnostic techniques.