General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Replace glued-on ball joint boot

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2023, 05:35 PM
Default Replace glued-on ball joint boot

EDIT - they are not glued on.

I am replacing the control arms on my 2003 Accent and accidentally damaged the ball joint boot on the new control arm.
On youtube all the boots clip on but this one seems to be glued.
What is the correct way to replace this? what glue?
I don't have the new boot yet so I don't know if it comes with anything to attach it.
(note to others, if you're replacing the control arms, take the struts completely out first. It doesn't take that long and makes the job easy - and keeps your boots safe)

EDIT - Its not glued on. I has a metal ring built into it that press fits over the ball joint. It comes off by prying in off. Don't know the best way to put the new one on.
Isn't is strange sometimes how once you ask a question you find the answer yourself. Anyway someone please tell me how to delete this post

Last edited by spotty; 11-25-2023 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Realised that they are not glued on - the whole preface of the question is wrong
Old 11-25-2023, 10:44 PM

I found a way that worked, hope it helps someone-
- Look around the bottom of the boot for the circlip that holds the ball joint itself in.
- put a flat screwdriver in the gap between the circlip ends and pry the old boot off
- get a plastic pvc pipe/joiner/adapter from the hardware store with the right diameter so that it fits over the boot except the very last bit (in my case a 40mm pvc pipe joiner had a 43mm dia hole which was perfect)
- push the new boot into the pipe joiner and hold in place over ball joint
- put some other tool over the end of the pipe joiner and tap gently with hammer in the middle and then around the edges of the pipe joiner until the boot is fully in place.
If you can't find the right size pvc pipe/joiner get something bigger, cut a slit and use a hose clamp to reduce the diameter until it works.