General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Timing issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 11:21 AM
Default Timing issues

Good afternoon gentlemen... And ladies.

I have an 08 Hyundai accent, non hatchback. While driving one day at about 15 miles an hour it shuts off and will not start. It has 130,000 miles and I have never replaced the timing belt so that is the first thing I check. Take off upper cover to find the belt still intact. I have my son try to start it and see that the belt is not moving. So I take it all apart to find that the belt stripped some teeth. I replace the belt, making sure that my marks are at TDC. There are only two marks 1 upper and 1 lower if I am correct. So I get the belt on everything looks good. Try to start and it cranks but will not fire off. I check for spark, it's good. It will backfire every once in a while so I believe there is compression. I hear the fuel pump start up and it is brand new. I feel it vibrate like the flywheel is turning. It doesn't sound like anything is knocking. Any suggestions? Could it be the rods are bent? It was sitting for about 4 months before I got around to fixing it. I have my trusty 94 F-150 that kept me going so I want extremely worried about it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:04 PM

This is an interference engine
Meaning the valves and pistons occupy the same space at different times
Without the timing belt to keep the timing, the pistons will hit the valves

The first thing I would try is to put a new timing belt on and hope for the best
Seems that you tried that. Didn't work.
Now you can determine the engine's condition by doing a compression and/or leak down test
Or, you can just get the head off and look at the damage
Replace the parts and rest the timing

If you don't have the skill set to do this ...
I would suggest looking for another engine or another car

Good luck to you