General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Tpms sensors sonata

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 09:28 PM
Talking Tpms sensors sonata

I have a 2009 Sonata that I had to replace the tires. The problem is that a while back I was unable to put air in one of the tires because I was unable to access the stem being to short. I purchased some valve stem extenders and installed them. They are now frozen on to the sensor stem. The tire shop broke one when he tried to remove the extender.(my fault I he had advised me of the problem and I told him to try and remove it) I now have to replace that sensor for $118 for the part plus to have it set up. Should I leave the other 3 extenders on. I am afraid that if I try to remove them I will break these sensor also. They were only put on hand tight about 1 year ago. Dose anyone know if there is a way of getting them off.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:35 PM

Some the sensors,, the stems is available as a service part... stupid part is, they dont come with nut that holds stem in wheel..... strip the outside nut, buy a sensor assembly..

Take the metal caps off the stems, toss them far far away. Use std plastic caps, and apply film of synthetic (water resistant) grease to threads for the cap.. sure the metal caps look nice, but nobody going to stay on top of them..

I had to cut a cap off without dinking the stem,, got lucky doing it.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:11 PM

I had put 1 inch stem extenstions on the sensor valve stem they were to short and just got outside the hub cap. I could not even get a air chuck on with out removing the hub cap. The extension is SS and the sensor stem is alum. so I guess they corroded togeather dissimular metals. I guess I will leave the 3 on and install a new one and hopfully get a new car before I have to put tires on again. Do not feeel like shelling out over $500 to replace all of them for a stupid mistake

Old 04-09-2011, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Whenever 2 dissimilar metals come in contact, you must use: