General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

trickle charge a sonata hybrid... possible?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2022, 07:42 PM
Default trickle charge a sonata hybrid... possible?

We occasionally go on trips longer than 60 days.
I'd like to trickle charge the battery on the Sonata Hybrid.
Since this car has the accessory battery as part of the hybrid battery, how do I connect a trickle charger up to this car?
Also, do I need a special trickle charger (ie: AGM)?
There is nothing online or in the manual that addresses this.
If anyone can provide some concrete details, I'll name my first born after them

Old 04-29-2022, 06:03 AM

AGM batteries do require a special charger.

You should be dealing with 2 separate batteries.

One high voltage for propelling the vehicle and a separate 12 volt battery for the engine and its accessories.

Old 04-29-2022, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
AGM batteries do require a special charger.

You should be dealing with 2 separate batteries.

One high voltage for propelling the vehicle and a separate 12 volt battery for the engine and its accessories.
I kind of knew these things but I don't know where the battery is that I can trickle charge. Anyone have further details?

Old 04-29-2022, 09:23 AM

Hybrid vehicles can be very dangerous if you don't have the knowledge and equipment to work on them.

If you touch the wrong parts , you would do it only once !!
I doubt anyone on this forum would be foolish enough to direct you to do anything involving power on that vehicle. Leave it to those who are trained AND have the proper equip to work on them. You are playing around in an area of 600 volts and that can do a lot of damage to you including kill you.
It is smart that you at least inquired before poking around in that vehicle.

Old 04-29-2022, 09:26 AM

Hybrid vehicles can be very dangerous if you don't have the knowledge and equipment to work on them.

If you touch the wrong parts , you would do it only once !!
I doubt anyone on this forum would be foolish enough to direct you to do anything involving power on that vehicle. Leave it to those who are trained AND have the proper equip to work on them. You are playing around in an area of 600 volts and that can do a lot of damage to you including kill you.
It is smart that you at least inquired before poking around in that vehicle.
Of course I am not going to open the back seat and play around with the main battery or the accessory battery as part of the main battery.
I am to understand there is a terminal under the hood I can use to connect for trickle charge.
I am asking for information regarding that.

Old 05-01-2022, 05:27 PM

Usually,,,,,,,,,,,,,any high voltage cables are colored ORANGE OR BLUE. (OVER 60 VOLTS)
DID YOU INQUIRE FROM A HYUNDAI DEALERSHIP SERVICE DEPT? Just a matter of a phone call.

Old 05-01-2022, 06:22 PM

Usually,,,,,,,,,,,,,any high voltage cables are colored ORANGE OR BLUE. (OVER 60 VOLTS)
DID YOU INQUIRE FROM A HYUNDAI DEALERSHIP SERVICE DEPT? Just a matter of a phone call.
I should make a couple of points clear here...
I have contacted no less than 10 different service departments in my general area of Texas.
I have no intention of opening the back seat to get to the main 600v battery area.
I am trying to find out if it is possible to trickle charge from under the hood and the details on how it's done, where to connect, etc.

Old 05-02-2022, 09:42 AM

I understand what you are asking and my first question would be where would you take your vehicle for repairs ? Where you purchased it should be able to provide an answer. Sooner or later you will need some special service and most places won't touch a hybrid , so you need to know where to take it.
If that place can't provide an answer, maybe there is no answer.
I can tell you the engine battery is in the same compartment as the hi voltage battery , most times right next to it.
Am aware you can't get a ready lite if the engine battery state of charge is low.

Old 05-02-2022, 10:25 AM

I understand what you are asking and my first question would be where would you take your vehicle for repairs ? Where you purchased it should be able to provide an answer. Sooner or later you will need some special service and most places won't touch a hybrid , so you need to know where to take it.
If that place can't provide an answer, maybe there is no answer.
I can tell you the engine battery is in the same compartment as the hi voltage battery , most times right next to it.
Am aware you can't get a ready lite if the engine battery state of charge is low.
Well I will be taking my vehicle to a Hyundai service center about 20 miles away, but I bought the car about 1300 miles away, so that won't work.
I have feelers out in multiple places, hopefully someone, somewhere should know something.
I can't express my disappointment in Hyundai corporate enough that they won't even try to help but instead will try to always point me back to 'my' dealer.

Old 05-02-2022, 02:45 PM

If it was a dealer1300 miles away, I would still give them a call.
There were times if you bought a new vehicle from a dealer at place A, place B felt you didn't buy it from them and they weren't obligated to you.

Don't know if that feeling is still a live and well, we hope not.

Quick Reply: trickle charge a sonata hybrid... possible?