General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Warranty question...blown engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 05:42 PM
Default Warranty question...blown engine

Hi,

I purchased a new 2011 Elantra. About a year ago our daughter bought it. Yesterday, with 61,000 miles on it, the engine blew up. It's 1,000 miles outside the bumper to bumper warranty. Being she is not the original owner, the 100k warranty is void (Hyundai will no longer honor transfer of 100k warranty to immediate family).

Here's my question: I had the car serviced at the dealership where we purchased the car. Our daughter bought the car, but had her boyfriend do oil changes. If I take the car to my dealership, will they know it's not mine? Will they use the VIN to check the ownership of the car? What will show up in Hyundai's system if they run the VIN? Am I just simply out of luck?

If we are on the hook for a new engine, I wouldn't have the dealership do it unless it's covered under warranty.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 12-15-2014, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tsherv
Hi,

I purchased a new 2011 Elantra. About a year ago our daughter bought it. Yesterday, with 61,000 miles on it, the engine blew up. It's 1,000 miles outside the bumper to bumper warranty. Being she is not the original owner, the 100k warranty is void (Hyundai will no longer honor transfer of 100k warranty to immediate family).

Here's my question: I had the car serviced at the dealership where we purchased the car. Our daughter bought the car, but had her boyfriend do oil changes. If I take the car to my dealership, will they know it's not mine? Will they use the VIN to check the ownership of the car? What will show up in Hyundai's system if they run the VIN? Am I just simply out of luck?

If we are on the hook for a new engine, I wouldn't have the dealership do it unless it's covered under warranty.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Well, also depends on why it blew up. If it blew up because of a mistake by the boyfriend, it wouldn't be covered by the warranty even if your daughter were the original owner.

Personally, I wouldn't risk the fraud charge to get them to change the engine as if you are still the owner. Especially since you documented that here.