General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Water Pump Port Partially Blocked

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 06:25 PM
Default Water Pump Port Partially Blocked

This question is general in that it applies to any make and model. But here are specifics;

At 160k on my '04 Santa Fe 2.4, I'm replacing for the second time the water pump, timing belt, etc. First thing I noticed is that the new water pump gasket is cutout differently, even though the 2nd and now 3rd aftermarket water pumps are identical. What's concerning me is that the half-circle cutout indicated in the image, doesn't exist in the new gasket. Moreover neither of the aftermarket water pumps allow for this cutout in their design (i.e. there is metal in that area instead of an opening. This means that over one half of the coolant port through the engine block is effectively closed off.

I've put on 80k miles with this same condition, but am wondering what, if any effect it had. Because I didn't pay close attention the first time that this work was done, I'm also wondering if the original water pump was designed such that it accommodated the entire port opening.

I'll check at the dealership tomorrow, but that won't settle things either because it appears that the water pump part numbers have been superseded twice. So it's possible that they found a newer model water pump that worked across more years, but perhaps not as effectively as the original.

Bottom line, what are folk's opinions on whether or not this may be an issue with improper coolant flow?

Attached Thumbnails Water Pump Port Partially Blocked-gasket.jpg