Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

02 sensor replace

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 03:54 PM
Default 02 sensor replace

Hi there,

I am trying to get my 2000 Hyundai accent to pass smog (check engine light is not on; my car failed the smog test).

1) I replaced the front O2 sensor- do I need to replace the back one too (after the cat)?

2) Is there a reset switch for the computer or can I just remove the battery cables?

Thanks! Vera

Old 08-31-2010, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

If the CEL is on, did you get the computer codes read first before guessing at the problem?

Old 08-31-2010, 06:00 PM

hi there, thanks for the response.

The CEL was not on.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by veragrazia
hi there, thanks for the response.

The CEL was not on.

MIL don't need to be illuminated for codes to be stored.... Scan the thing and see what is in the memory.. Post the codes ..

Why did it fail ??? Smog do the plug in and inspect readiness test and found in the first line under "number of DTC" that it had more than "0"..

There is a lot of stuff you do not know in regard to Accent with the tricks of the codes with them..

Post up with DTC(s) and why you failed, "maybe" I can tell you how to "repair it right the first time" and save you a bunch of headache.. kinda like most of the ox codes on Accent is not for real, there is actually different repair than replacing a good ox with a new ox.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:49 PM

The original questions, which were not answered, remain the same.

I don't have a scan tool so I can't give out any codes, the car failed for high NOx / lean. When I removed the front O2 sensor there was definitely a white glaze on the sensor confirming the lean mix. I was hoping to avoid getting a scan tool - if I had a scan tool then I wouldn't be on this forum asking. Should I replace the other one after the cat?

Please answer the original questions. Is there a reset switch for the computer? Does this clear the memory?

Old 08-31-2010, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Please answer our question. What are the codes?

Get the codes read. Most auto parts stores will do it for free. Without you getting the codes read, we can't help you.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by veragrazia
Should I replace the other one after the cat?
No

Is there a reset switch for the computer?
No, we do not "reset" computer... we clear memory of DTC

Does this clear the memory?
Only if you use a scan tool
I love my GDS,,,,, "This is my GDS, there are many like it, but this one is mine"

Note the "ERASE" button --

Attached Thumbnails 02 sensor replace-gdssnapshot100514114333p.jpg  
Old 09-01-2010, 09:25 AM
Banned

hey if he doesn't want the help thats his problem. let him fumble. you guys tried.

sbr711 - you said "kinda like most of the ox codes on Accent is not for real, there is actually different repair than replacing a good ox with a new ox. "

could you enlighten me? always good to pick up what little bits of info i can...

Old 09-01-2010, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by zero_gravity
hey if he doesn't want the help thats his problem. let him fumble. you guys tried.

sbr711 - you said "kinda like most of the ox codes on Accent is not for real, there is actually different repair than replacing a good ox with a new ox. "

could you enlighten me? always good to pick up what little bits of info i can...

P-0133 slow response... the cars is noisey/loud... replace the front pipe,, Hyundai had to issue TSB becuase of Ox replace, and code came back..

p-0130 in activity... TSB, dont really see it much, but lots of sensors got replaced, and code came back... reprogram the PCM

Transmission code for output speed sensor,,, test sensor, if good, reprogram TCM... sensor out of range --> replace & reprogram TCM.. there is toipc here in Accent with snapshot of GDS screen for the update
Too many variables, and you need to know what is going on so you know where to go..

Old 09-01-2010, 05:01 PM
Banned

yup about what i was finding...just my idle curiosity. thanks for getting back to me

Quick Reply: 02 sensor replace