Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

07 Hyundai Accent Hatchback Speed Sensor Problem...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 03:53 PM
Default 07 Hyundai Accent Hatchback Speed Sensor Problem...

Just wondering if anyone has had this happen before... I took my car in to have the speed sensor replaced as that was the trouble code that it was showing, and it would not shift into overdrive, on my automatic transmission... The shop I took it to sheared the threaded end off in the old sensor and said it cannot be repaired (see picture)!!! I am just wondering if this is the case or can this in fact be repaired without replacing the housing or transmission itself??? If so I will just keep driving w/o OD, but I would really prefer to have it fixed properly... TIA

Old 11-01-2019, 12:31 PM

I could be wrong on this, but from your pix, it appears they broke off the driving tip while attempting to remove the sensor.

You probably can insert a sheet metal screw into the center of the broken driving tip and pull out the broken tip. Just don't screw the screw in too far because it will cause the tip to spread and make removal more difficult.

Old 11-01-2019, 04:04 PM

Yes the tip is still in the bracket, and the bracket is seized to the transmission, hence why they say it cannot be repaired... The 10mm bolt can be removed but the bracket itself cannot unless there is a way to somehow get it unseized... Also if you noticed, the aluminum threads are broken off inside the old sensor...

Last edited by Keith Henney; 11-01-2019 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 04:46 PM

This is what I would try.

Soak the broken part with something like "PB Blaster" penetrant. That should help to make it easier to remove the broken piece. If that doesn't work , take something like a Dremel tool and grind away the old sensor nut. Once you have the piece removed you might try a good epoxy adhesive to reattach the piece to the trans housing, being careful not to clog the threads for the replacement sensor to anchor to. All this seems like a lot of trouble , but not as much as replacing the housing.