Hyundai XG 350 The mid-sized luxury model

Input Speed Sensor Replacement -- Any Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 01:22 PM
Question Input Speed Sensor Replacement -- Any Tips?

Well, I verified the trouble code (P0715)to replace the input speed sensor on my 2001 XG300 (125,000 miles). Can anyone offer any tips before I replace it?

I purchased a new input speed sensor at the local Hyundai dealer ($90 w/tax), as no one else had it in stock. Actually, $90 isn't a bad price, considering it is OEM and was in stock.

OK, I wouldn't even call myself a backyard mechanic. I can't even replace brake pads without my neighbor's help. So can anyone give any advice on replacing the input speed sensor?

I found the following on the web:
<<< You'll need to remove the air box (three 10mm bolts and a clamp). One of the bolts is under the fuse box. If it's still there, you'll probably need to remove the battery to access it.

The sensor is located about halfway underneath the bracket holding the shift cable onto the top of the transmission. It's very similar in appearance to the output speed sensor.

Remove the two 12mm bolts holding the bracket in place and push the cable to the side. Clean the area and remove the 10mm bolt holding the input speed sensor in place. Pull the sensor out, unplug it, and install the new sensor and reattach the connector. >>>

Thanks in advance!

Update: Followed the steps above and lost my nerve when I came to moving the "shift cable." May try again after more research.

Came across a service bulletin on this from Hyundai: 09-AT-016 Any chance this diagnosis/repair is covered by Hyundai?

Last edited by DigitalMan; 12-12-2010 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Update