Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

HELP! A/T P0715 Code - Turbine Input Speed Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 04:39 PM
Default HELP! A/T P0715 Code - Turbine Input Speed Sensor

After nearly getting hit a couple of times in traffic when the car would seize hard (actually thought I had run over a dog or something the first time) and would suddenly lose power, I drove it to an AutoZone and had diagnostics run on it which told me that the turbine input sensor was bad. So I bought the sensor that the code specified (42620-39051) from the dealer after reading on some of these forums that the replacement procedure was fairly simple ("15 minutes," they said. Yeah, right!).

Believing that there would be a clear diagram/schematic, I then bought a Haynes Hyundai Repair Manual , but it was totally useless. It mentions the input/output sensors, but does not specify exact location or have detailed photos or diagrams.
But researching some more, I found a clear photo on Hyundai's technical website of the sensor's placement, and it seemed fairly straight forward, at least, until I looked under the hood of my 2001 V6 Santa Fe. Good grief! Everything is so compacted, and the jumble of wires and connectors I found there completely perplexed and frustrated me (yes, I finally went in the house, grabbed a cup of coffee, and cried.)

After taking that little break to gather myself together, and refusing to admit defeat, I went back to the car fully determined to resolve the problem. OK....mentally recapping some forum talk....one person says the sensor is to the left under the air filter box behind the battery. Yes, I see a connector and wire there, somewhat down and behind the oil filter, but it doesn't quite look like the part I have? But if it is, do I have to take off the air filter box to get to it? There's not a lot of room to maneuver there with the wires and such everywhere. There's another one under located under the brake master cylinder which looks like the part, but the wire connection is angled differently?

So can someone please tell me exactly what to look for, or am I way off base and looking in the wrong place (under the hood), or do I need to go under the car to find and replace the sensor? This really shouldn't be rocket science. Although I just paid $75 for the part, I need to be able to do this, as I honestly don't have the $300-400 the garage's want to install it for me. So please, can someone draw me a diagram, or send a photo that would help?

Thanks for reading,
Karen
kykendra@yahoo.com

Old 06-27-2009, 06:07 PM
Banned

True to say, it's not like changing a lightbulb. But in the car repair world, it's pretty easy. Correct to say "one person says the sensor is to the left under the air filter box behind the battery." You have to remove the air filter box, then it's right there. You need a ratchet to take out the bolt. Here's a photo. It's on top of the transmission, directly in the center next to the bell housing.

Attached Thumbnails HELP! A/T P0715 Code - Turbine Input Speed Sensor-input-sensor.jpg  
Old 06-28-2009, 07:15 AM
Default Thank You!

Yes....thank you so much! You're a sweetheart and a lifesaver! I saw one to the left of the filter box, but now know it would have been the wrong one and would have caused an even bigger headache. So, while it hasn't yet reached 90 degrees this morning, I will go an solve this problem.

Hope you have a wonderful day.
Karen

Old 06-28-2009, 06:25 PM
Default I'll just have to drive very slowly for a while.

Well....I tried. It looks like it'll have to go to a shop in a few weeks, but I genuinely thought it would be a piece of cake after knowing exactly where to find it. But after removing the battery and the air box, I found that it's sort of in a furrow, and there's also a heavily wrapped Y cable directly over the top of it (along with others ones crowding within inches) which kept me from getting to it. Everything was just so compacted and inflexible, and I didn't see any harness bolts nearby to unscrew to move the cabling out of the way, either.

Regardless, thank you for the response and the photo.

Karen

Old 07-08-2009, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by kykendra
Well....I tried. It looks like it'll have to go to a shop in a few weeks, but I genuinely thought it would be a piece of cake after knowing exactly where to find it. But after removing the battery and the air box, I found that it's sort of in a furrow, and there's also a heavily wrapped Y cable directly over the top of it (along with others ones crowding within inches) which kept me from getting to it. Everything was just so compacted and inflexible, and I didn't see any harness bolts nearby to unscrew to move the cabling out of the way, either.

Regardless, thank you for the response and the photo.

Karen

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t4794-...-and-p1529.htm
in case the link does work - just remove the extra spaces
http:// www. hyundai-forums. com/t4794-troublecode-p0715-and-p1529 . htm

post #10 - it tells you how to take off the bracket that holds the cables that covers the sensor.

Last edited by jenkins; 07-08-2009 at 08:22 PM.