Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

08 Accent GS Amp Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 06:28 PM
Default 08 Accent GS Amp Install

Just picked up an amp and a couple 12s for my Accent. Im gonna install it all myself and wanted to know 1) how others have routed the power wire (batt to amp) 2) where others have attached the ground wire. Post pics if you have them. One thing I really would like to know is where you passed thru the firewall.

Thanks,
Mike.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:30 PM

Well since nobody responded, I took it upon myself to figure it out. Got it all in. Super clean install. I will post pics and a how to when I get some free time.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:37 PM

So where is the OEM amp at?

Old 02-09-2009, 06:39 PM

I didnt come across it. I ran wires on the left side of the car. My guess is behind the right rear plastic panel. That is if there even is one.
Im about to post pics of the install.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:04 PM

I looked on my 3 door under that panel and did not see it.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SHOZ
So where is the OEM amp at?
Originally Posted by stlwaco
I didnt come across it. My guess is behind the right rear plastic panel. That is if there even is one.

EXTERNAL AMPLIFIER (4 Doors)

1. Remove the right luggage side trim.

2. Remove the external amplifier (B) from the quarter inner panel (A) after removing 3 nuts.

EXTERNAL AMPLIFIER (3 Doors)

1. Remove the right luggage side trim.

2. Remove the external amplifier (B) from the quarter inner panel (A) after removing 4 bolts.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:37 PM

Im not worried about the factory amp at this point. Maybe further down the road I will play with it. Right now Im having fun with my new setup:
Name:  867.jpg
Views: 1864
Size:  68.8 KB

If anyone is wondering about the questions I asked in my first post, I will answer those here.

I grounded the amp at the child safety seat restraint. I unbolted it, stripped the insulation off the ground wire, stuck it under the hold down, then tightened it back down. Also notice in this picture, you can run the power, remote and signal wires thru other hold down door for a clean install.
Name:  871.jpg
Views: 2263
Size:  76.7 KB
another angle:
Name:  870.jpg
Views: 1682
Size:  43.9 KB

As for the firewall pass-thru for the power cable, I used the gromet that the main harness uses to pass thru. I had to use a slim profile utility knife to cut at it to make slit big enough for the cable to fit thru. It was tough due to the clutch line running almost in front of it. I also had to remove the airbox and ecu to make it easier to access the gromet.
under hood:
Name:  853.jpg
Views: 1532
Size:  48.8 KB
Inside (when you look under your dash, this will be covered by a peice of plastice easily removed by a 10mm socket):
Name:  854.jpg
Views: 2606
Size:  65.9 KB

Here is how I hooked up to the battery:
Name:  848.jpg
Views: 1658
Size:  57.2 KB

Last edited by stlwaco; 02-17-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:08 AM

are you running the subs off the factory head unit?

I'm wanting to add a sub to my accent, but I don't really want to mess with the factory stuff too much...it's got the factory XM radio, aux port for plugging in an MP3 player, and I'm happy with the sound of the factory speakers, I just want more bass--when I turn the bass up on the factory stuff, they start to distort.

so...are you using factory stuff or did you go all aftermarket?

Old 03-17-2009, 07:45 PM

The only other after market I am running is the headunit. I am running a Kenwood KDC-MP205. I only used the factory stereo on the drive home from the dealer. My car only had 20 miles on it when I took the factory stereo out. lol I noticed a huge improvment in clarity from the factory to the Kenwood. With the Kenwood, I don't get the distortion the factory unit had and the bass was so much better. Then I added the subs a little over month ago. I just need to figure out how to get the rear interior panels off without breaking them so I can Dynamat behind them. This car was not meant for subs. All the rear panels rattle like you wouldn't believe.
Today I installed a power invertor. I'm gonna start a new thread for that though.

Last edited by stlwaco; 03-17-2009 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:52 AM

oh ok...so the distortion I'm getting is from the factory head unit and not from trying to push too much bass through the speakers?

I've actually been somewhat impressed with the factory system, other than the lack of bass, but then again, I used to listen to FM 99% of the time, but since the car came with an aux input, and I got my I-phone (with built in I-pod) I've been listening to a lot more of my own music, and am just now wanting to get better sound.

...cheaply!

Quick Reply: 08 Accent GS Amp Install