Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

08 Accent rear brake lock up

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 06:35 PM
Default 08 Accent rear brake lock up

hey! Im the new guy here and i was wondering if you guys could help me out.

Ive got an 08 Hyundai accent hatch back with rear drum brakes. If i let the car sit for awhile (roughly 4 hours or more) and if i climb in and start driving, my first couple applications of the brakes i can feel the rear brakes locking up and not turning smoothly. But after a couple applications they start working fine, i guess its due to the heat that makes them work fine? And every month i take the drums off and blow the brakes out with brake clean, ill put it all back together and itll work really well for a couple days, then they start locking up again.

They are still the original Hyundai rear shoes so im wondering if i should go to a different rear brake shoe (Raybestos)?

If you guys could throw any advice my way that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Nathan

Old 10-23-2010, 06:57 AM

If they are original I would replace them and make sure all the springs and pivot points are clean and free. Flush out the old brake fluid too.

How many miles? If the OEM shoes worked great up to now why go with anything else?

Old 10-23-2010, 10:59 AM

And every month i take the drums off and blow the brakes out with brake clean, ill put it all back together and itll work really well for a couple days, then they start locking up again.

If I'm reading this correctly you may not have any lube remaining between the backing plates and the several lube spots around the edges of the shoes. A lack of lube may cause the shoes not to return to their seats which could cause the partial lockup you are experiencing. Next time you have the drums off check for the lube and if needed put just a daub on each spot.