Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

1999 Accent Check Engine light

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 03:25 AM
Default 1999 Accent Check Engine light

I'm dumb when it comes to cars. But I wanted to do some research before I took my car in to get it serviced. I wanted to know if there's a quick fix I can do myself. My check engine light has been coming on lately then turning off. But more recently its staying on and when I drive up hills its really struggling and the check engine light flashes. Same thing happens when I try to accelerate to cruising speed on freeways.

Any ideas what the problem could be? Is it something simple I could do myself or would i have to take it in?

Thanks for any and all help!
Mitch

Old 02-06-2007, 07:25 AM
Default RE: 1999 Accent Check Engine light

Well my boyfriend and I were driving to San Louis Obispo last march and his check engine came on in his car, but it was running fine. He freaked out and immediatly called his dealer. The Mazda Dealership told him that the dealers shop was closed for the weekend.

The dealership told him that there was nothing to worry about if it was just on, but when it started to flash, to get it looked at immediatly. I know it's different cars, although I don't think it is a good idea to continue driving it while the check engine light is on. Not to mention on another hyundai forum, some of the 2007 accents have been having check engine light problems, and with one, ended up being a gasket problem.

Get it checked either way.. Peace of mind will feel great.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:01 PM

go to autozone, for three bucks they will hook you up to the scantool. its like an interface with the car, the car will tell them whats wrong, it may be something easy, it may not, the dealer will prolly charge you fifty to do the same thing.

once you find out what it is post again and let us know

Old 02-06-2007, 04:00 PM

Also i just noticed recently a new service advertised in my area called SAM(Smart Auto Management) that for $15 you can go up to one of these stations and plug into your diagnostics and it will give you a printout of whats wrong if check engine light is on or other possible future problems to watch out for.I know AutoZone will do this also but SAM might be a good alternative if there is no AutoZone close by in an emergency while out in the road.The service seems to be available at the moment in Georgia,North Carolina,Texas and California.....heres the site www.iamsam.com