Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

2001 Hyundai accent will run for 20-30 min then stalls out. Won't restart for 45min

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 09:12 AM
Default 2001 Hyundai accent will run for 20-30 min then stalls out. Won't restart for 45min

Car will start run ok than after 20-30 minutes of driving it stalls out. After it stalls it won't turn over right away. After I wait 45 minutes it is able to start again. It was inspected in November and there weren't any issues. I was out of town from Jan-April so it's only been driven for 2 months for a Max of 1100 miles. The check engine light is on but they were unable to get it to turn off at inspection. Any help or ideas on what it could possibly be would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Last edited by Julian Schultz; 05-24-2019 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 05-24-2019, 10:10 AM

First step: go to a parts store and have them read the trouble codes. Write down the trouble codes and post them here. With those we will be able to narrow down what the problem might be. At this point we would be shooting in the dark.
A cautionary note: some people think that if a trouble code is set by data from a certain sensor that that sensor might be faulty. Most likely that sensor is fine and doing its job. So don't let anyone talk you into buying a new sensor. Bring us the codes.

Old 05-24-2019, 05:53 PM

Starts, runs, then when hot stalls out and will not start again until the engine cools down
Have seen crankshaft sensors do that
And have seen fuel injectors do that also
And have seen a coil heat up and stall an engine

I would read the Diagnostic Trouble Code that is making the check engine light turn on.
It might give some direction on where to start looking

When it stalls and won't start again, try checking for spark, injector pulse
If one is missing then follow up in that direction
If both are missing then there is a possibility that the crankshaft sensor could be faulty

Good luck

Old 05-25-2019, 03:08 AM

Something I have found that has worked for me,
A crank sensor that opens when it gets warm/hot can be confirmed by simply pouring cold water on it. If it starts after that ,the crank sensor is N/G.

Old 05-25-2019, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
Something I have found that has worked for me,
A crank sensor that opens when it gets warm/hot can be confirmed by simply pouring cold water on it. If it starts after that ,the crank sensor is N/G.
Wait, how do you pour cold water on it?
Where is the sensor that you can pour cold water on it?
Or, do you take the sensor out?

Old 05-25-2019, 08:05 PM

Since this problem is so predictable you can do this in your driveway where you have access to a water hose..
Once you know where that sensor is located on that particular engine, when hit with cold water the sensor if open internally will close and allow the vehicle to start if that is the cause.
There is no need to give the engine a bath just cool the sensor where it is mounted to the engine. Every time I went to chase down a problem like this by the time I got halfway through the test procedure the darn engine started and everything kept checking out OK. So I suspected what might be happening and shot some cold water on the sensor where mounted and it started up every time after a shot of cold water.in the general area. One of those simple things that saves me a lot of extra work.

Old 05-26-2019, 09:36 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by hanky
Since this problem is so predictable you can do this in your driveway where you have access to a water hose..
Once you know where that sensor is located on that particular engine, when hit with cold water the sensor if open internally will close and allow the vehicle to start if that is the cause.
There is no need to give the engine a bath just cool the sensor where it is mounted to the engine. Every time I went to chase down a problem like this by the time I got halfway through the test procedure the darn engine started and everything kept checking out OK. So I suspected what might be happening and shot some cold water on the sensor where mounted and it started up every time after a shot of cold water.in the general area. One of those simple things that saves me a lot of extra work.

What a genius "hanky hack"!---- We need more hanky hacks!

Old 05-26-2019, 08:01 PM

I'm glad somebody is keeping an eye on me.
Remember what I said a while back , my wife won't even allow me to work on the wheelbarrow. Ya gotta know a good thing when ya got it !