Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

2002 Accent tranny & electrical

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 04:32 PM
Default 2002 Accent tranny & electrical

My daughter had an accident on the left front. Some of the wires were cut through. We had them repaired, but still have the following problems. Some may just be fuse replacements (which will be checked tonight)...

interior lights
horn
radio

More importantly, the auto transmission cannot go into gear without using the manual override. Is this an electrical problem as well? If so, where is the fuse for it? If not, what else could be wrong?

Old 08-27-2010, 09:21 PM
Banned

lights, horn, radio. yeah check fuses, i don't know what you expect anyone to say other than check the fuses if not the wiring wasn't repaired properly. so great...that goes nowhere fast.

electrical MAY be possible for the trans since (correct me if i'm wrong here, i drive a manual) the trans would likely be under the interlock while the car is turned off. most autos are in case of children getting in and playing with it. if the wire controlling that is broken, well theres the problem.

looking on www.hmaservice.com, i see there is a shift lock solenoid. likely, you have broken the wire for that solenoid. check the pic below, its right off that site and give you the exploded view of the shifter. unfortunately, you're going to have to trace down the entire wire to find the problem provided that the issue IS electrical. its impossible to say with an accident, anything is possible!

so questions...did you do this yourself or have a shop do it? if a shop i'd be going back after checking fuses, the job wasn't done right. if you did it, its FIAT time...not the car, "Fix It Again, Tony"

good luck. i'd recommend getting wiring schematics off the above mentioned site to assist. have fun with your multimeter.

Attached Thumbnails 2002 Accent tranny & electrical-ekda034a.jpg  
Old 08-28-2010, 05:34 AM

Yes, so far my husband and a friend have been doing the repairs. He replaced a couple of fuses, but that didn't solve the problem. There are some other "modules" (?) in the relay that he couldn't remove to check. He also thought maybe something needs to be "reset" after the repair to the wiring.

So, it's getting beyond his ability and the next step is to bring it to a mechanic. He knows his limits.

Thanks for your help.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:00 PM
Banned

always good to know your limits. FYI relays dont need to be reset in any way - only item that can possibly need to be rest is the ECU which does not apply to this scenario

Old 09-05-2010, 11:41 AM

from what Ive read the ECM, TCM, and transmission shift controls are all on the same fuse so if you can find one for any of those that will help check that. the horn is right where you were hit, at least that's where it is on my car. so its probably physically crushed. good luck with the car if it does go to a mechanic, how about giving a ball park what the quoted you, just out of curiosity, thanks.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:30 AM

Well, it turned out to be a fuse after all. It was the 50 amp battery fuse. Even the mechanic didn't see it at first because it actually burnt the plastic casing and so it looked like the bridge was still connected.

I did learn why the transmission wouldn't shift...there was no power to the brakes!

All's fixed...for now.

Thanks!