Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

2003 Accent Front Wheel Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 08:09 AM
Default 2003 Accent Front Wheel Bearings

Hey Gang,
My 03 seems to be having a loud growl from the right front wheel above 45 MPH.

Someone has told me it is likely the wheel bearings need to be replaced.

The car has 87,500 miles on the clock with no problems like this to date.
(the wheel was making a clicking sound also)

-Is this a repair a backyard mechanic can do or should I let the local Hyundai shop do it?

-Any idea of the cost to do this whether I did it or the local repair shop would charge??

Thanks for your help!

Charlie C.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:52 PM
Default RE: 2003 Accent Front Wheel Bearings

Bearing noises usually don't just show up at 45 mph. Intially, bad bearings can be heard as the wheel begins to roll and then diminish or even disappear at higher speeds. I'm more suspicious of a bad ball joint or perhaps you've partially sheared a brake pad on the right front (the mileage would be right if the pads have never been replaced). Bad ball joints usually get louder with speed.

Jack the right front of the car up on a stand with the emergency brake set. Remove the right front wheel (and slide it back under the passenger side of the car) and with the tranny in neutral, turn the hub by hand. If it's the brake pad or pads, you'll hear the grinding sound coming from the caliber. If so inclined, you can easily remove the caliber to directly inspect the pads. You may/may not hear the bearing if it's going bad by turning the hub by hand. With the caliber off (and hanging by a wire, not the brake line), bolt the wheel back on the hub. Grab the tire at the 12:00 and 6:00 positions then push/pull to wiggle the hub. You shouldn't feel any slack movement in the hub bearing. Ball joints are more difficult to diagnose by hand. Unless you have a well equiped shop, a bearing (or ball joint) repair will need to done by a mechanic.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:46 PM

Thanks ken99 for the input. To clarify the noise: it starts out (around 20mph) very low as a growl and gets to be a very loud growl over 45 mph as the speed is increased.

It doenot stop only changes volume with speed. No other studdering or abnormal vibration is present.

The other tip off that someone told me about this likely being a bearing problem (other than the loud growl) is the clicking sound from that wheel.

I;ll check out your suggestions also.

Still want to know if the bearing is pressed on or can a driveway mechanic do the job????

Old 01-29-2008, 07:24 PM

Thanks ken99 for the input. To clarify the noise: it starts out (around 20mph) very low as a growl and gets to be a very loud growl over 45 mph as the speed is increased.

It doenot stop only changes volume with speed. No other studdering or abnormal vibration is present.

The other tip off that someone told me about this likely being a bearing problem (other than the loud growl) is the clicking sound from that wheel.

I;ll check out your suggestions also.
I now think you have a piece of gravel stuck in the caliber or a pad is failing. I'd get this checked out ASAP. If it is a bad brake pad or debrise in the caliber, you likely need to replace the brake rotor as well (harsh sounds usually mean a scoured or grooved rotor). The pads will be in full sets for the both front brakes. If you buy one rotor, you might as well replace them both.

Still want to know if the bearing is pressed on or can a driveway mechanic do the job????
Front wheel bearings on modern FWD cars are fully sealed types pressed into the machined casting that the axle spindle passes through. Usually takes a special tool to pull them as well (or at least pull them with the casting still on the car). If the problem is a wheel bearing (I don't think a ball joint is now involved), a mechanic is usually the quickest and cheapest fix.

Good luck.

P.S. I just had another thought regarding the sound, but this may be a red herring. Check the fender liner on the suspicious wheel well. The plastic liners can sometimes come loose and rub against the tire. This can make a loud howl since the well acts like a meagphone. Gets worse at speed because the added air flow pushes the liner against the tire. In your case, it may take 20 mph or so for the liner to make contact. Check to make sure the grommets holding the liner are secure. You should also find where the rubbing is at if this is the case. If not, then check you brakes.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:11 PM

sounds like a wheel bearing problem to me.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:36 PM

Thats what I am getting, it s a wheel bearing problem.
I cant get the car on a lift until the weekend so I will check out the obvious things first.

Looked at the process to do these bearings on the hmaservice.com website and its much more than
i can handle. (press on bearings and a special puller are out of my league)

I will look for a repair shop or my local dealer to do the work. Looks like a $450.00 USD job !

Old 01-31-2008, 07:49 AM

hey madindian1,

any idea how much this will cost at the local hyundai dealership and how long for both front bearings to be done???

Thanks for your help!!
Charlie C

Old 01-31-2008, 08:32 AM

how many miles on the car? not sure if it might still be under warranty. normally to do one wheel bearing will cost an hour labor. so dealer rate plus part.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:18 AM

There is 87,000 miles on it. and I am 2nd owner of the car, so warranty does not apply to me.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:19 PM

I will update this post in the next couple of weeks (when the funds jar is full again) on the cost and
result of the repairs.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: 2003 Accent Front Wheel Bearings