Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

2004 Hyundai Accent P0501

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2020, 03:05 PM
Default 2004 Hyundai Accent P0501

182,000 miles, hatchback, GL, Auto trans

Speedometer and Odometer inop. tranny shifts great after fixing P0734 by replacing a destroyed overdrive bearing. Replaced Vehicle Speed Sensor and still no change. Check voltage at VSS input plug, ground is good, battery wire showing around 11V and pulse wire around 7V. Verified that there are no speed sensors on both front wheels. Ordered and waiting on a VSS gear which looks good to me but there's a few chips of the gear teeth missing. Checked all the fuses in the engine bay and driver's kick panel, no blown fuses. Didn't check the instrument cluster yet but will do so if the new gear doesn't fix the problem. Appreciate any help, thanks!!

Last edited by Xyzzzz; 03-24-2020 at 03:26 PM. Reason: add fuses
Old 03-25-2020, 09:22 AM

Regarding speed sensors on front wheels,
In order for the ABS to work , there has to be front wheel speed sensors. How did you verify that ?

Old 03-25-2020, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
Regarding speed sensors on front wheels,
In order for the ABS to work , there has to be front wheel speed sensors. How did you verify that ?

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have a non ABS model. There are only the regular brake lines going to the wheel area.

Old 03-25-2020, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Xyzzzz
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have a non ABS model. There are only the regular brake lines going to the wheel area.
Is there an abs tone ring on the CV axle?

Old 03-25-2020, 02:09 PM

Yes but the ABS tone ring came preinstalled on the CV axles when I replaced both of them. I'm pretty sure I don't have ABS, heck even the ABS relay and fuse locations are empty.

Old 03-25-2020, 07:19 PM

In doing some checking, ABS was not required until around 2007-8.
The speed sensor signal from the sensor you installed should go up to the inst cluster. You might need a diagram or the use of a scan tool to verify if the cluster is getting the signal or do it the hard way and physically trace the wire and check if it is getting up there, which if it is, the cluster could have a problem.

Old 03-26-2020, 06:47 AM

I used my BlueDriver scan tool and was unable to get any MPH reading off the Live Data. Also my left turn signal bulb indicator in the dash intermittently works so maybe I just need to spray some electrical cleaner in the dash wiring.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:01 AM

Not sure if there is a printed circuit board used in the inst cluster. Quite a few times all it required was to unplug and reinstall the plug to correct a possible poor connection.
The quick check before reassembling everything might be to see what that left turn indicator does.

Old 03-26-2020, 09:16 AM

I actually had the instrument cluster out a few times to replace the stock lights with LED's. The connections look good back there but I'll take a better look this time around. I should be getting the VSS gear today so fingers crossed.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:19 PM

Yeah the new gear didn't work. Odometer and speedo still inop. I even took out the instrument cluster and sprayed electronic cleaner in the harness also. I have a suspicion that the 7 volt reference might have something to do with it. I still have to check the wiring from the VSS to wherever it goes.

Quick Reply: 2004 Hyundai Accent P0501